From:
DOOK-WOOF-DOOK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 07:36:42 -0400
Everyone has a chance to win at ferret shows.  Lets start from the
beginning of the show, where you did not see:

8am-9:30am-Ferret Check in.  Paperwork is checked and all ferrets
entering the show hall are vet checked at the door.  (There is the vet
check you were referencing).  Poopie boxes are also looked at to make
sure no one has any sick looking signs.

9:30am-10am-Then ferrets are prepared (last minute things) by the owners
including ears and nails.

Same People Winning-Well, as much as I like my ferrets to win, yes, alot
of times the same people do win.  These would be the bigger breeders.
But I also know they breed ferrets who should win.  Path Valley and
Marshalls are there to pump out ferrets for money.  They don't go by
standards such as good rib structure, head structure, good coats etc.
You can definitely see a MAJOR difference in lets say coats (which is
easy to feel to the first time ferret owners) between a breeder ferret
and a pet store ferret.  Even the summer coats are better on a home bred
kit.  (I have both home bred and petstore ferrets).  This winning has
nothing to do with who the ferret's owner hangs around with.  It has
more to do with the fact that there are not alot of Ferret Breeders out
there that also show their ferrets.  First time show people often win the
Companion Class (which is strictly for early spayed/neutered ferrets).
Breeder/Late Alter and Adolescent classes are for the home bred
kits/ferrets.  These 4 classes are the classes where points are
accumulated.  These points then are added together and your ferret can
achieve certificates and honors.  You can go onto the American Ferret
Association web page (www.ferret.org) and their is a whole section on
showing.

Now color classes are basically for the ribbons.  No points are awarded
for them.  There it is how well the ferret fits into the color standard.
Yes, ferrets who you don't think really fit do win, but again, alot goes
into it.  Clean ears, Clean teeth, nails trimmed, coat condition
(extremely soft and the winter coat seems to be preferred) etc.  If a
ferret is wonderful with the exception of poor maintained, it will not
win.  My Hershey Kisses and Newton both won in their color classes.  They
are both Petstore Ferrets (Marshall Farms).  There were breeder ferrets
in both those classes.  Now if you were watching black sable.  Vicki from
Just a Business of Ferrets will take it every time.  Her black sables are
blacker then black.  They have very little white on them, maybe just a
dime size on their face.  As much as others would like to win that color,
you have to agree, that her ferrets are WONDERFUL.  And she deserves to
win.  That is years of breeding behind that ferret.

If you have anymore questions, you can ask the AFA, or anyone at the
shows.  They will explain it for you.  If you listen at the shows they
will explain why that ferret got top honors.  Also the color standard
chart only shows so much.  It is a basic guideline but not a set in stone
guide.  I have been going to ferret shows for over 2 years now, and have
very few gripes about how they are run and which ferrets win.  I think
overall, it is extremely fair.  I have been to dog shows and would not
show my dog there.  Ferret shows, my kids attend and LOVE it!  They have
their trophies and ribbons to take to school each Monday after a show.
It is very rewarding for them, whether their ferret places 1st or 12th.
Marguerite

Now, I think they should eventually let petstore ferrets have their own
class for color and breeders have their own class, but that must come in
time.  Ferrets shows are extremely expensive to run.  The trophies cost
alot of money.  Alot of the shows are run by shelters and the proceeds
benefit shelters.  To have to purchase another set of ribbons for all the
color specialties would be taking money out of the shelter's proceeds.
If more people attended the shows, I think some day that maybe achieved.
So support the shelters..........go to shows.

Life is not how many breaths you take, but
how many times it takes your breath away...
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.petfinder.org
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm
Aloha Ferrets Ebay Store