From:
Claire Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 06:12:09 -0500
First, thanks to Peter Piper for posting the CNN feedback link
http://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form4.html?5

I wrote the following:
===
Anderson Cooper on 8/16/05 ended his piece on bear attacks with the
statement "Pet ferrets are responsible for four deaths every year."

This gives the impression that ferrets (a tiny domestic animal) are
somehow vicious marauders that attack and kill people.  This is totally
untrue.  Ferret owners are already battling the perception that ferrets
are exotic wild animals (which they are not; like the cat, they were
domesticated thousands of years ago).  Irresponsible reporting like this
only make it worse.

Cooper also mentioned that "140 people die in car crashes involving
deer".  This is much more responsibly phrased.  No one gets the idea
from this that the deer are vicious and trying to kill people.  I would
assume, if ferrets are responsible for any deaths, it is from tripping
over them, or letting them run loose in the car while driving and letting
them distract the driver -- something that would apply just as well to a
pet gerbil.

If possible, have Mr. Cooper clarify his statement in a future show.  If
he would like to do a show on the role of ferrets as theraputic companion
animals, I'm sure that can be accomodated, and I would be happy to direct
him to those involved in those efforts.

=== (end of my letter to them)

I was going out on a limb there at the end, because I only know of
theraputic companion animal efforts through this forum.  I'm hoping that
if there is any response (I don't expect one) that someone here would
step forward.  It would be really cool if we could get a brief segment
on CNN!

Claire (Sam, Frankie, Missy, and Lilo)