From:
Chris and Tara Palaski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:24:44 -0400
Hi Deb,

>From:    Weasle Queen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Question about Breeding
>
>Why are there ferret breeders out there that insist on "LINE BREEDING"
>as this is another word for "IN-BREEDING"?  I do know something about
>breeding as my mom bred cats for more that 30yrs, also bred dogs and
>rabbits.  Breeding is to improve health, temperment and longevity of the
>ferret, not just for looks.

I hope someone who has practiced line breeding for an extended period of
time answers this but if not here is my understanding.  Line breeding is
practiced to strengthen and set certain traits expressed in a genetic
line.  This practice is quite common in the dog world ( and cat world
as well I believe).  Line breeding and out-crossing are two ways of
approaching breeding.  Proponents of both methods will stand by their
practices and have evidence to their success.  It comes down to which
method you prefer, the risks you are willing to take, and your level of
knowledge on the subject.

>Here's an example: I purchased a 6 moth old hob from a well known ferret
>breeder in 1999 as a breeder male, not a pet.  She asurred me that the
>liniage papers were in the folder that came with JD(Jack Daniels) and
>that no inbreeding was commited.  THe liniage papers wren't in the
>folder as I discoverd when I got home.... After reding the liniage
>papers that were sent< I foud that JD was a product of inbreeding!  His
>Mom & Dad were related!  The same 4 ferrets that appeared in dad's side
>were also in mom's 3rd & 4th generation from JD.  To make matters worse,
>2 of the ferrets on mom's side appeared twice!  I called the breeder
>with my findings and she replied that she didn't own the mom, but the
>mom was in her name.  We lost JD at the age of almost 4yrs from
>insylinomia and Lymphoma.  We wre crushed, needless to say we've never
>delt with that breeder again.

As for your situation.  6 years is a long time to wait to bring up a
complaint.  If you were not happy with your purchase, arrangements could
more than likely have been made at that time for a return or exchange.
It goes back to the buyer beware statement I made the other day.  Make
informed choices as to where you purchase your ferrets.  This is
*especially* important in choosing breeding stock.  Knowing the full
lineage of a ferret before purchase is paramount to founding a good
breeding program.  Also being aware of genetics in general and ferret
genetics ( what is known) in particular is a must.  Inbreeding *and*
out-crossing have their own separate risks.  Breeders must recognize this
and make appropriate decisions based on the knowledge available on any
given line.

As to the question of why there are breeders who insist on line breeding
it would be best to directly ask a breeder engaged in line breeding.  If
you do not know one, I can put you in touch.  Just let me know!

Tara
(just Tara, not wearing any "official" hat today :)