From:
Danee DeVore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2005 23:46:03 -0400
Harry <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 4/19/2005, 3:29 AM:
> 1. The yahoo groups for fundraising, you have to join the group to
>begin with and a lot of people are not interested in joining a group
>just to read about people who need money, it is a target audience.  Like
>it or not the people who started the groups post here on the FML for
>their fundraising because the group listings do not bring in the needed
>funds.

Correction to the above - you only have to join if you want to post.
Anyone can go out and look at the posts.  It is like the FHL, where you
can read it without joining.  Try it - you will see.  Again, the link is:

And, if you want to post, and therefore have to join, but do not want to
be bothered with the flood of email from that list, you can sign up to
read it from the web only.  Although I rarely have anything to advertise,
I joined the group under one of my email names, and did just that.  Now,
I can read the list from anywhere and with any account, but I am not
getting any email from it.  To me, this list (the Fundraising one) is a
win-win situation.

>Just to finish up there are many other lists out there but the FML is
>still number 1 for most ferret people, shelters depend on our help like
>it or not to exsist many have come and gone but without them there would
>be many more homeless and sick ferrets dumped on the streets to fend for
>themselves.

But will it stay #1 if people become dissatisfied with it?  And, what
about the many shelters with webstores and EBAY stores who rarely if ever
post about fundraisers.  I can name at least two like that for every one
that uses this list as a classifieds page.  And, if people aren't reading
the ads any way, are they really doing you any good?

I remain a member mainly because I want to be aware of important issues
and situations.  Other wise, I might unsubscribe, as there are a lot of
other lists I have found that I enjoy more.  And, that is why unless
there is an ongoing discussion I am interested in, I rarely read this
list any longer.

I used to really enjoy the FML.  I liked the way it was like a big
family, and we shared our stories and such.  It was the first thing I
read.  I viewed it kind of like sitting down with the Sunday comics.
It was recreational as well as educational.  I no longer get that sense
from it.

For more then a few years my vet has been referring non medical questions
from his ferret clients to me.  I get calls about behavioral issues,
about shows and clubs, and about many other similar things.  One of the
first things I ask these people is if they have email access, because it
is often easier for me to provide them with good information if I can
email them links to resources I know about.  On the phone, I always tell
them about the FML, and when I email them, I attach a copy of the most
current FML for them to see what it is like.

Now, 3 or 4 years ago, I would notice that the people I told about the
FML would usually join, because I would see them posting, asking for more
suggestions, or telling the list about their ferret family.  Recently, I
have had people that I have referred to the FML write back and comment
that the list seemed more like a advertising list then a good place to
get useful information and make friends.

Harry made a very good suggestion to people that have websites or EBAY
stores - include a link in your signature line.  While I don't have a
personal webpage, I include links that I think are important, or are
important to me, that I want to share with others.  This is, for me, a
much less objectionable way to advertise.

But the bottom line is, the FML is going to be what the vocal majority
want it to be, and that may not reflect what the majority of subscribers
really want.  Many people have written to me off line saying they too
are tired of what the FML is becoming, and would like to see it go in a
different direction.  They thank me for speaking up and saying what they
are feeling.  But, in order for a change to happen, they are going to
need to speak up.  This list is what the people who post make it.  People
who lurk, or who post but don't offer their opinions and suggestions will
just have to take what those who do post their feelings want.

Like many, when I buy, I try to do it from a shelter or an individual
who uses their profits, at least in part, to help the ferret community.
I only buy from commercial stores if that is the only place to get
something.  But, I don't need the FML to tell me where these people are.
--
Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator