From:
FerretMomJC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:38:37 -0700
I tend to specialize in ferrets who are sick and/or have behavioral
issues like severe biting.  I try to adopt out all healthy ferrets ASAP
when they come in & often have a "waiting to adopt" list.

A Permanent Resident, here at The Ferret Haven, is a ferret who usually
has multiple medical issues and/or is very old.  For these ferrets, I
have committed to them, to be their forever Mom and this their forever
home.  I don't want to put then through the stress of going from their
previous owner, to me, and then to yet another home when one is found.
For severe biters - these are just hard to place and I can handle pretty
much any biter with just a little more care than my others.  I actually
get concerned about liability when considering adopting or fostering out
a severe biter.

I give them a loving home environment and they receive the same care and
attention that my 3 personal ferrets receive.  They are spoiled to death
and when they leave me, they do so with my knowing that they had the very
best life they could have since they came to me.

I understand your question though - when I used to adopt, before I had a
shelter, I used to go into my local shelter and ask who would never get
adopted - who had been sitting there for 3 years or who was blind, bald
and 172 yrs old.......those are the ferrets I'd take home.

Jerri Carel
The Ferret Haven
Louisville, KY