From:
FerretMomJC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2005 08:40:58 -0700
I've researched this subject in length so I'll tell you what I know.
And no, I am not associated with Melatek in any way, we just use a lot
of implants in our shelter so I've been down the price road.

The implants are made by a company called Neo-Dynamics and sold for use
to the Mink and Fox industry (fur.....ugh).....in a non-steralized form.
These fur industries have purchased over 1.5 million of these FDA
approved implants/yr, thus, a very large quantity discount.  Neo-Dynamics
only sells to a defined database of Mink/Fox farms and to Melatek.

Melatek, who markets the Ferretonin implant, sold 850 implants last
year - so their qty discount from Neo-Dynamics is very small in
comparrison to that enjoyed by the fur industry.  Melatek gets the
implants, re-inspects them, gas steralizes and repackages with an
implant device for sale under the Ferretonin name.

The cost has gone up because they are paying for two research studies
at the Univ. of PA and Colorado State Univ.($5,000 for the CO study).
These studies will hopefully benefit alo of us in the long run as they
learn more about how the implant effects and benefits ferrets.

Melatek's current price to a vet is $22.95 per implant, min.  order of 4
required, plus shipping.  They do give shelter discounts.  I'm not sure
if they were ever $8 - I thought the previous cost (before increase) to
a vet was more like $19.95.

Your vet is telling the truth when he says the 4 implants cost him over
$100 - with required refrigerated overnight shipping - I'd estimate $110.
So his cost is about $27.50ea and he's charging you $45 - not sure if
that includes the office visit or not.

Jerri Carel
The Ferret Haven
Louisville, KY