From:
April Armstrong Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:14:08 -0500
Hi-haven't caught up in awhile, and need to tell you all that
unfortunately, I unexpectedly lost my first ferret, Nicodemus, on
2/20 to causes currently being investigated via labs, but right now I
am making an urgent plea:

My rescue, Holly, who was going to be having her adrenalectomy in two
weeks, has developed terrible anemia in the last two days.  (PCV of
15% pretransfusion-normal for ferrets is 45-60%).  She had a blood
transfusion from my Finnegan yesterday that helped a bit, but not enough.
I have a huge (almost 5 lbs) blood donor lined up for when/if she gets
stable enough to do the surgery (that will really be the only curative
thing for this anemia as well as the adernal problem).  She may need
another transfucion in the meantime, however.

What I need is anyone in the Wocester, MA area with a large, healthy
male ferret (Finny is about 2 pounds) who would be willing to help out
by offering their fuzzy kid as a blood donor.  I would be eternally
grateful.  I have been in the position before to offer my Finnegan as a
donor for another ferret that was not my own (this was Finny's third time
giving blood) and I am hoping now that someone else is willing to do the
same for my Holly.  I have no other ferrets who are donor candidates.

Ferrets tolerate blood donation and transfusions very well-they do not
have blood types-and there are little to no adverse effects, although of
course there is always a risk with any type of procedure, especially if
anesthesia is involved.  I would be happy to have my doctors discuss the
risks with you.  Finnegan has never experienced any type pf problem with
his donations-he gets subcutaneous fluids and Nutrical afterwards, like
humans' cookies and OJ.

Your pet will be well-cared for at the time of donation, handled by
knowledgable vets from either VCA Northboro Animal Hospital (Dr. Melissa
Dudley, DVM, AVCS) or the Worcester Cat Hospital and Bird Clinic (Chenoa
Lenciewicz, DVM and Nancy O'Leary, DVM).  I will do what I can to
compensate you for your trouble.

I do not want Holly to die-please help.  She has only had to wait for
her surgery this long (she'd been doing well on lupron) because I had
three other kids needing surgery at the time she was found running in
the streets and brought to me.

Thank you.

April Armstrong Campbell and Holly, Bandit, Cora and Finnegan (missing
Nicodemus, Marley, Shannon, Sparkle and Renate)

ph: 508-721-1259