From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:12:39 -0800
Dear Ferret Lovers Everywhere,

We here in Maryland are very proud and determined to have "The Ferret
Protection Bill - HB620" to be heard in the 2005 Session.  I believe this
is groundbreaking legislation for the protection of kits transported to
and sold in Maryland, or any state.  It truly does address the health
issues surrounding kits to be sold in Maryland.

Testimony is being heard by the Judiciary Committee on February 24th
at 1:00pm, in Annapolis, Maryland.  We encourage everyone to attend as
a display of your support.  Anyone wishing to carpool, whether from
Maryland or out-of-state, please write me at [log in to unmask]  We
can also assist in hotel accommodations, or a stay with one of Rocky's
volunteers in their home.  Anyone interested in attending or wanting
to testify, please contact me ASAP to coordinate attendees and those
desiring to testify.

A bit of history; The Ferret Protection Bill was first introduced in the
2002 Session after Sharon Dowell and I met with then Delegate Al Redmer.
Last year we had tremendous Maryland, as well as out-of-state support and
testimony.  Pathetically, it was never even put up for a vote in order
to get out of the Judiciary Committee.

This past Fall, representatives from the Balitmore Ferret Club, Maryland
Ferret PAWS and Rocky's Ferret Rescue and Shelter, met with Delegate
Cluster.  Delegates Cluster and Boteler, are our advocates and sponsors
for this Bill.  However, since it's inception, more Delegates have come
on board with their support.  These additional sponsors are listed in
the Bill info further in this post.  We all are so grateful for our
Maryland's Delegates' determination in continuing to fight for this Bill
to become law.

At that meeting we continued to insist on a late alter Rule.  Apparently,
compromise had to be made because of the vigorous opposition to the Bill
by the Maryland Retail Pet Assocation.  Much to my dismay, it had a
minimum 6 week alter Rule.  Today, the Bill has been amended to read 8
weeks.  I am so grateful to the sponsoring Delegates for this amendment.

In supporting HB620, please DO NOT fax the Delegates.  You are encouraged
to either email or snail mail a letter to one or more of the Judiciary
Committee/Chairman/Members listed below:

Thanking everyone in advance for their support!

Affectionately,
Barbara Clay
Director of Shelter Affairs
Rocky's Ferret Rescue and Shelter, Inc.
www.rockysferrets.com

Delegate Joseph Valario, Chairman e-mail:

Delegate Samuel Rosenberg, Vice Chairman e-mail:

Delegate Curt Anderson e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Anthony Brown e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Jill Carter e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Kathleen Dumais e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Don Dwyer e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Ana Gutierrez e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Daryl Kelley e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Kevin Kelly [log in to unmask]
Delegate Susan Lee e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Susan McComas e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Herb McMillan e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Pauline Menes e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Carol Petzold e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Neil Quinter e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Christopher Shank e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Tanya Thornton Shewell e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Luiz Simmons e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Michael Smigiel e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Theodore Sophocleus e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Delegate Robert Zirkin e-mail: [log in to unmask]

To view and track HB620, use these links:
http://mlis.state.md.us/2005rs/billfile/hb0620.htm
http://mlis.state.md.us/2005rs/bills/hb/hb0620f.pdf

The following is an excerpt from a communication I received this morning
from Delegate Cluster and Boteler's office:

"...We wanted to let you know that we submitted an amendment for HB620.
We changed:

1 (2) MAY NOT SPAY OR CASTRATE A FERRET THAT IS LESS THAN 6 WEEKS OLD;
  to:
1 (2) MAY NOT SPAY OR CASTRATE A FERRET THAT IS LESS THAN 8 WEEKS OLD;

Below is a copy of the bill without the changes.  The amendment will be
handed out at the time of the hearing...<snip>"

UNOFFICIAL COPY OF HOUSE BILL 620

E1 5lr1477

HB 1136/04 - JUD

By: Delegates Cluster, Boteler, Bartlett, Boutin, V. Clagett, DeBoy,
Eckardt, Elliott, Frank, Frush, Glassman, Jennings, Kach, Kaiser,
Krebs, McComas, Montgomery, Myers, Parker, Shank, and Smigiel
Introduced and read first time: February 4, 2005
Assigned to: Judiciary

A BILL ENTITLED

1  AN ACT concerning
2              Ferret Protection Act
3  FOR the purpose of prohibiting certain commercial entities from
   transporting,
4  selling, or offering for sale a ferret that is under a certain age,
   has not been
5  spayed or castrated, or has been spayed or castrated within a certain
   time;
6  prohibiting certain commercial entities from spaying or castrating a
   ferret that
7  is under a certain age; requiring certain commercial entities to
   provide certain
8  certifications; authorizing certain commercial entities to transport,
   sell, or offer
9  for sale to a ferret breeder a ferret that has not been spayed or
   castrated;
10 providing for certain criminal penalties; and generally relating to
   the handling
11 of ferrets.
12 BY adding to
13 Article - Criminal Law
14 Section 10-623
15 Annotated Code of Maryland
16 (2002 Volume and 2004 Supplement)
17 SECTION 1. BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF
18 MARYLAND, That the Laws of Maryland read as follows:
19             Article - Criminal Law
20 10-623.
21 (A) A COMMERCIAL ENTITY THAT PRODUCES, DISTRIBUTES, OR AIDS IN THE
22 WHOLESALE OR RETAIL DISTRIBUTION OF FERRETS:
23 (1) MAY NOT TRANSPORT, SELL, OR OFFER FOR SALE A FERRET THAT:
24 (I) IS LESS THAN 10 WEEKS OLD; OR
25 (II) EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SUBSECTION (B) OF THIS SECTION,
26 HAS NOT BEEN SPAYED OR CASTRATED;

2             UNOFFICIAL COPY OF HOUSE BILL 620

1 (2) MAY NOT SPAY OR CASTRATE A FERRET THAT IS LESS THAN 6 WEEKS
2 OLD;
3 (3) MAY NOT TRANSPORT, SELL, OR OFFER FOR SALE A FERRET THAT
4 HAS BEEN SPAYED OR CASTRATED UNTIL MORE THAN 7 DAYS AFTER THE
5 PROCEDURE TO SPAY OR CASTRATE THE FERRET; AND
6 (4) SHALL PROVIDE CERTIFICATION DATING THE PROCEDURE TO SPAY
7 OR CASTRATE THE FERRET FOR A FERRET THAT IT SPAYS OR CASTRATES.
8 (B) A FERRET THAT HAS NOT BEEN SPAYED OR CASTRATED MAY BE
9 TRANSPORTED, SOLD, OR OFFERED FOR SALE TO A FERRET BREEDER.
10 (C) A COMMERCIAL ENTITY THAT PRODUCES, DISTRIBUTES, OR AIDS IN THE
11 WHOLESALE OR RETAIL DISTRIBUTION OF FERRETS AND TRANSPORTS, SELLS, OR
12 OFFERS FOR SALE A FERRET SHALL PROVIDE CERTIFICATION WITH EACH FERRET
13 THAT THE COMMERCIAL ENTITY IS IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF THIS
14 SECTION.
15 (D) A PERSON WHO VIOLATES THIS SECTION IS GUILTY OF A MISDEMEANOR
16 AND ON CONVICTION IS SUBJECT TO A FINE NOT EXCEEDING $100 FOR EACH
17 VIOLATION.
18 SECTION 2. AND BE IT FURTHER ENACTED, That this Act shall take effect
19 October 1, 2005.