From:
Barbara Clay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:23:13 -0800
Dear All,

Forgive me for not reporting sooner, but I've been ill since this rescue,
and a bit overwhelmed and exhausted.

On Feb 19th as a result of being contacted by a family member, Rockys
volunteers assisted in doing an intervention rescue of what turned out to
be 43 ferrets.  This occurred at a home in Abingdon, Maryland.

There had been discussions and plans prior to our arrival between myself
and one of 6 of the adult children to the woman who owned the ferrets.
The owner of the ferrets was reluctant to release any of her animals,
6 birds and 3 dogs.  We had been told that there were issues with the
cleanliness of the home as well as a roach infestation.  This was a large
two-story home in sprawling suburbia Maryland.

We had initially been told there were a total of 28 ferrets.  The woman
that lived there apparently was oblivious to how many she actually had.
She had years ago been a shelter herself.  She may have attempted to
close her doors, but apparently each and every time the phone rang with
someone wanting to get rid of their ferrets, she couldnt say no.  Also,
she was breeding and had many intact ferrets.  By all definitions, and
what Rockys rescue team witnessed, we were dealing with a classic,
textbook collector.  Curiously, myself and another member of the rescue
team became very ill following being in the home.  Ive been in bed with
flu symptoms for almost two weeks.

This was a particularly personally painful rescue for me.  I knew the
woman.  Years ago we were even close friends.  I had lost contact with
her over the years, and had no idea that she continued to take in
ferrets.  At one time she was out there in public doing meet-n-greets and
adoptions.  Since then, there had been no adoptions, only surrenders.
Shes and older lady with a husband who recently had some very serious
health issues and had major surgery.  The number of animals in the house,
her continuing to work part-time, tend to an ailing husband in an
assisted living home, concluded the out-of-control spiral that has left
her home in shambles, as well as her life overall.  Theres a lot of
questions as to why the family allowed this situation to go until it got
out of control, and the home unlivable.  I dont have those answers.  I
dont know if they even knew.  Collectors have a way of keeping their
hoarding a secret, and especially so as it becomes larger and more
outrageously out of control.

Of the 43 ferrets, 15 are high end medical.  First into the vet were
Arthur Dent and Jimmy Durante.  Neither are surgical candidates.  Arthur
is advanced adrenal and is very malnourished, with an enlarged prostate.
He received Lupron and a Melatonin implant.  Jimmy has a malignancy on
his face, and the abdominal tumors the vet felt to be lymphascarcoma are
inoperable.  Doc told us that Jimmy could eat anything he wanted, just do
whatever it takes to make him happy in whatever time he has left.  Both
boys received CBCs, X-rays and supportive meds.

Today 3 of the intact jills were spayed.  One girl, Sophie was a high
risk at 6 years old.  All came through their procedures and recovery with
flying colors.

We have the rest to rush to the vet this week, but all will be receiving
exams, and most all blood work, teeth cleanings, etc.  One little boy
especially stole my heart.  That was Sugar Ray.  His ears had been eaten
off, and is advanced adrenal.  Itll be determined whether hes a
surgical candidate this week.

Heres the part that is very upsetting.  The woman was breeding.  Over
half of the jills do not have tats.  So somehow we have to assess whether
they are spayed or not.  This is not a simple task.

Animal Control is involved and will be forever monitoring the situation.
It is not known at this time whether charges will be filed.  However, I
do know for a fact that the intent to have court required psychiatric
counseling is definitely in the plans.  This woman was one of the kindest
folks I had ever met.  Actually, every collector/hoarder Ive ever met
were very kind spirited.  How did her life ever get so crazy?  The very
animals she started out loving and cherishing, she ended up hurting so
badly.  Theres nothing loving about allowing a 6+ yr old jill to breed.
Today Sophie is spayed and free to be someones beloved cherished lil
older girl.

We currently have the bios up and they can easily be viewed.  The photo
essay of this rescue is available today.  We have given the link to the
free Power Point download.  I understand this will limit those that get
to view it.  We are changing the format, so if you cant view it today
with PP, please come back tomorrow and there will be a new easy access
format.

Thank you all for your love, compassion and generosity in helping us
bring these kids to good health, ready to be adopted.  If interested,
please go to Rockys website and click on Adoptions.  There you will
find an online application.

Affectionately,
Barb Clay
Dir of Shelter Affairs