Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:05:26 -0800
Folks,

A slight correction to yesterday's posts.  I write posts in Word for Mac
(OS-X), do a clip and paste into the Yahoo mail box, and then ship them
off.  I have noticed in the past that some characters do not translate to
the FML well, and I think it gives Bill a huge headache trying to figure
out what the correct character is for the FML digest.  Usually, I go back
through the post and replace those characters, but I forgot to do so last
night.  The result was the misspelling of the Hungarian words that use
diacritical marks.

The Hungarian word for polecat (or ferret) is not spelled "gvriny." It is
goreny with an umlaut over the 'o' and a right accent (or forward accent)
over the 'e'.  The word for the domesticated ferret, "vadaszgoreny," has
a right accent over the 2nd 'a'.  The word for the black-footed ferret is
"feketelabu goreny" with a right accent over the 'a' and the 'u'.  The
word for the steppe polecat, "molnargoreny," has a right accent on the
'a'.  The word for the striped polecat is "tigrisgoreny." In all these
words, "goreny" is spelled and accented as described above.

This was my fault for forgetting to remove the diacriticals and I
apologize to all.  I especially apologize to my Hungarian friends who
taught me better, and to Bill who was forced to translate the mess.
Mostly to Bill.

Bob C  [log in to unmask]

[Moderator's note: Thanks, though none of the diacriticals came through
at all, so there wasn't a thing for me to try to figure out :-)  BIG]