From:
Bill and Michelle Echols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:48:35 -0800
Could someone please update the data regarding the efficacy of surgery vs
monthly lupron shots?

What I am now hearing from those who are running trials, and from the
ferret Vets in the area.... lupron is now the optimal choice for ferrets
that are adrenal.  I believe this is from the data regarding the
recurrance of tumors with surgery within the first 18 months, and the
actual shrinkage of tumors, and reversal of symptomology that goes with
the adrenals being cancerous with the lupron.

There is also a trial with the non-adrenal ferrets being given 100 mcgs
of lupron in the Fall, and again in the Spring to see if this actually
can prevent ferts from becoming adrenal.  While I know that a lot of this
has yet to be published (okay Doc... you know to hurry up!), I would like
to hear others thoughts on this, and any experiences they have had if
they have gone both routes... surgery vs lupron.

We have given our non-adrenals the 100mcgs, and will do so again in the
Spring, so I will be watching and recording how ours are, as well as the
lupron gang... We have had poor long term results from past surgeries,
but so far, excellent stabilization of our adrenal babes with monthly
shots.  I'd like to start gathering our own (FML) non-research /Vet data
to be able to get some idea as what we as ferret people are seeing.  Next
step... looking at melatonin implants... maybe for the non-adrenals??

Input from everyone is welcome.... just remember, be nice... nastygrams
will be mentioned!

Hugs and a Happy New Year!
Michelle and...Xena, Bu, Flower, Blossom, Matt, Zorro, Sunshine,
Sno'Flake, Cuddles, Fang, Leaper, Wolf, Harmony, and wee Beauty.
In our hearts and over the bridge, Fred, Arnie, Evie, Maggums, Costello,
and Ellie.