From:
Trish Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:26:31 -0800
Dear Kathy,

My Pippin has recently developed an ulcer.  This was determined by the
grinding of his teeth and some slight rectal bleeding.  Pippin stopped
eating on his own.

I used Carafate (1g/10mL) for approx. 1 week
Dose - 0.5 to 1mL 1 hour before food

I switched to completely soft food diet.  My fiance is vegetarian so I
can't really make duck soup in the house.  Instead I use Gerber Stage 2
Beef w/gravy baby food.  After I got him to eat with me spoon feeding him
(forcing only stressed him out more) I started soaking his totally ferret
or zupreem food and adding it to the baby food a few pieces at a time.
He doesn't really like it but we're getting him to eat it slowly but
surely.  The carafate lined his stomach and after he started eating
regularly and stopped grinding his teeth I didn't need it anymore.

I'm pretty sure Pippin developed the ulcer from stress.  We were taking
him to the vet monthly for Lupron shots (right adrenal enlarged, left
adrenal removed 1 year ago) and he would get very upset about going to
the vet after while.  So I'm going to try to do the shots at home
instead.

If you have any questions feel free to email me directly.  Thanks to
all for the beautiful Christmas Cards.  I won't be participating in
the xchange for a bit.  Looks like we may be moving soon.  *sigh*

Take care,
Trish ~ Pippin, Zira, Hannah, Bowser, Isis & Indica *missing my Merry*