From:
Little Dudes Ferret Ranch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:20:22 -0800
I was hoping to hear from anyone with any experience with diabetes.  I
understand it's extremely rare, especially when it develops for no
obvious reason, is not a side effect from medication or pancreatic
surgery.  So far I've been guided by by long time shelter moms within
the PFSN for which I am grateful but this seems to be so rare that there
aren't many people who have actually experienced or cared for a ferret
with diabetes.

Starsky was tested because he was lethargic and showing signs of
insulinoma.  His first bg tested at 393.  I was in disbelief so I shook
the monitor and tested him again.  2nd time it was 424.  By the time we
got him to the doc, his bg was over 500, and he spent the day in the
hospital.  Urinalysis also confirmed diabetes.  He was given 1/2 of a
unit of insulin as a conservative starting point and he was tested
throughout the day.  By 4:00pm today, his bg was down to 277.  We brought
him home, tested him at 8:00pm and it was back up to 399.  We gave him
another 1/2 unit and will monitor him throughout the night.  I am going
to leave him at the hospital again for the day tomorrow to be monitored
and may continue to take him back until he is stable (to the tune of $100
a day I might add).

I can give insulin and subq's (only because Michelle graciously let me
practice on her until I got it right and then she let me use her
ferrets), but I can't monitor him and I refuse to leave him for several
hours while I'm at work.  I'm pretty sure I have the perfect home for him
(still trying to wear her down) but in the meantime, I need to get him
stable.  Is there anyone out there who has experience with a diabetic
ferret who might help out with advice?

As an afterthought, I commissioned the ferret dragon artist, Arylkia to
create some holiday ferrets which made great T-shirts and cards, to help
raise funds for the shelter.  They are all on the "Go Shopping" page on
the shelter website.  I appreciate your support.

Terri
Little Dudes Ferret Ranch
www.littledudesferretranch.com