From:
Angela and Darryl Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:36:04 -0500
Dear FML:

Well 04 in just about ended and 2005 is ringing at the door.  With the
possibility of a major pet store chain joining to retailing of these
precious ferrets.  Bless us all for whatever happens in our areas we
live, and grant we have the room to provide the needs of all futures.
Georgia F.E.R.R.E.T.S., Inc. has not posted on the FML in quite some
time, Mainly with all that we are working on and personal issues with
myself.  We are now reaching the 60 marks of ferrets.  And for the most
part 34 surrendered between a week before thanksgiving, and now.  We hope
the normal first quarter of 05 will not be the same and the priors.

We regret now to ask to our fellow FML folks to see if yall can make a
financial contribution to Georgia F.E.R.R.E.T.S., Inc.  And our only
reason we now are asking here is because of my personal issue I will
share with you all.  My previous employment I was injured on my right
arm and have sustained slight nerve damage, and limitations to use of my
right arm with work release of 15 pounds or less I can lift in a 40-hour
work schedule.  This injury is over a year old, happened in Sept. 03 in
November 03 the company retired my position and me.  In my seeking of
employment and the limitations by workers comp, and the current way the
market is, no company is willing to hire me with the risks they will have
to take on.  The former employer is disputing much of the claims, my comp
is now on wait till court hearing in mid January 05.  We have sponsors;
some company supporters, as well as volunteers that help us as they can.
We never thought of being at the stage amount of ferrets at this time and
the expenses are r ising.  Adoptions are still on the periodical, but not
as priory due to our ferret truck (84 Chevrolet P-30 Ups truck like) the
crankcase went out and we have to await till will raise 6250.00 for
engine and transmission replacement by a local service company we use
has quoted.

So I am asking if and only this does not affect your operations or
livelihood, make a check donation of any amount to Georgia
F.E.R.R.E.T.S., Inc. to assist us in many areas of vet vaccinations,
needing of some more martins cages and carriers, and obtain more dietary
supplies for these ferrets.  We thank all that helped and was a Santa to
our eight only able to list on the blessed giving tree.  If any of you
choose to ask to do fostering?  We are sorry it is no offense to the
thousands of fosters out there or anyones ability and efforts.  We have
taken in a group of 6 from a foster, and a group of 20 that was suppose
to be 22 from another foster, which had no relations to us, and the 20 we
received two days prior to thanksgiving was I glad but crying at the same
time they came to us.  There huge 5 foot by 30 cages 4 which all I still
have to see if I can salvage, are in unsafe extreme poor condition, that
6 ferrets had missing nails from their paws, scratch in their skin from
some sharp edges, way far to way underweight, one has a hip problem with
a knee displacement that healed the wrong way, an adrenal female that
does not look like she got the care and medical needs as bald except for
the eyes, mask is all of what hair she has and we call her Lucy.  And
the first four days these ferrets devoured food constantly that bowls was
being refilled three times a day.  So my reason prior to even considering
fostering was why we choose not to foster.  As it can bring a major
expense to a rescue when and if they take them in.  The reason why the 22
were 20 when the people loaded up from their cages two was dead in the
cage.  So my wife and my heart we know exactly where it is when it comes
to ferrets, and cannot clarify for anyone else regardless of what they
do, or come across.  So we do not foster in respect to first the ferret
and their well-being and second our neighboring ferret rescues.

To also inform you all that may consider to open to assist us.  We are
not 501 C 3 as of now, how ever first quarter 05 our application is
being submitted.  Due to my personal situation explained here, and
oncoming expenses we now have, is for most the reason of delay of
application.  As well delay of website, and other projects I am working
on still, slower progress but still being worked on.

Warning as well in case many decide to email us, our mailbox stays kind
of near full, so you may get full mailbox bounce back message.  We prefer
you all to mail by postage to us as our info is clearly posted on the
shelter list at ferret.org or you can mail to:

                       Georgia F.E.R.R.E.T.S. Inc.
                       443 Patterson Avenue
                       Scottdale, Georgia 30079
                       At: Darryl or Angela Smith

All donation will receive a return thanks from us and let you all know
what we are working on in all our projects.  May take a little time but
spare with us, as ferrets are our first priority always and during all
the things we do day to day we will respond with our gratitude in number
of responses.

We also want to thank BIG for his continuous dedication to this list and
info he pass on in so many ways.  All rescues, shelters, and open hearts
to the needs of all these ferrets, the giving tree that makes the holiday
special for thousands of ferrets.  We also thank all on the FML for the
stories, announcements, and expressions they share with us all.  Happy
Holidays, and a brighter new year to you all!

Darryl Smith
President/ CEO
Georgia F.E.R.R.E.T.S., Inc.