From:
Leeanne Pallazola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:42:44 EDT
Can anyone give me some insight on the sound of a ferret cough?  My girl
sounds like she is crying.  Diagnosis is cardiomyopathy over a month ago
and she has responded well to treatment.  She is 8 years old.  Went to
the vet today and x-ray shows a small mass on her heart pushing on her
trachea.  Lungs looked wonderful, very, very little fluid in the chest.
When she does cough, these episodes can last anywhere from 30 seconds
to 10 minutes.  Of course, holding and soothing her and letting her
lick ferretone helps her calm down somewhat, but the cough itself is
alarmingly sad.  I know from a human perspective having battled pneumonia
that a chest cough can be excruciating at times, do these little fuzzies
experience the same?  Is she is pain?  My vet gave a prescription for a
cough suppressant, only to be used in the worst of situations as it will
cause even more sleepiness, any other suggestions for controlling these
episodes?

Thank you in advance.
Leeanne and Fenway