Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:06:52 EDT
Dear Northern

I just went through this with a bonded pair of shelter ferrets.  Stryder
and Alluria were an old pair of ferrets (he was 6.5, she was 6)- and
Stryder had a sudden seizure later found to be because of a blood clot.
I had him put to sleep that Friday.  Saturday found Alluria completely
lethargic, wouldn't eat and looked very dull and listless.  I started her
on sub-q fluids, force feedings (just a simple mix of A/D and baby food)
and carafate to protect her stomach.  On Monday when I took her to the
vet, they could find absolutely nothing wrong with her - her blood tests,
including chemistry came back perfect, the exam found no reasons for her
to be this way - but she had lost 200g of weight.  The vet listed "death
of cagemate" as the probable cause for her anorexia.

It took me 10 days of feedings, fluids and meds before I was able to
convince her to not leave.  She is fine now - her weight is back up to
normal and she is eating and drinking normally.  She does not have a
new cagemate - she was always aggressive around other ferrets.

I will also comment that perhaps adding Tootsie may also be a factor -
that Spunky is stressed not only because of the loss, but also because
of the new addition.  You might consider separating them for a bit until
Spunky is back to eating/drinking again - not only to reduce her stress,
but to also be able to monitor her food intake.

If there is anything that I can do to help, please let me know..and I
hope that Spunky will recover soon.

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
Shelter Wench in good standing
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"