Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 02:35:41 -0700
I've always read that about 82 degrees is the absolute highest they
should be subjected to.  Some ferret do overheat at lower temperatures
than others for other health reasons; some can tolerate more towards 85,
but 80 degrees is just about safe for everyone.  If your ferret has a
heart condition, is overweight or is older (age 3 or older), or has other
health problems, they will probably overheat faster.  I think your 80
degree limit is a very wise and safe one.

I have an alarm in my home that i can set so that if the temperature
gets to a certain level, it will call my cellphone and tell me there
is an emergency at home.  I have that set at 82 degrees because I have
fairly healthy ferrets.  The device is called Sensaphone and I got it on
eBay just in case you're interested in one.  It was very reasonable and
sure gives me peace of mind because I live in the desert and depend on
an air conditioner.  If I'm ever away from home and the air conditioner
malfuntions or stops, i need to know right away and get them to a cool
place, or I could lose my fuzzies.......so it's especially important.
If you live in a milder climate, you probably won't hve to go to the
extremes that i have to have peace of mind and still be able to leave
the house in the summertime.

The other thing folks need to be aware of is that a fan will NOT cool
your ferret.  In order to cause cooling with a fan, another element
is necessary - cooling is caused by water evaporation, so if you are
planning on using a fan for your fuzzy, be sure to wet down the blankies
in the cage, keep a big tub of water that your ferret can get in and stay
wet, OR use a misting system (available at any patio or home store) and
a fan......there are options, but ALL that are effective will require
movement of air AND presence of water on the skin (soak them all the way
down to the skin, not just on the outside of the fur for best cooling).

Every ferret's tolerance for heat varies and is affected by the ferret's
overall health, age and weight.  While panting is normal for most other
animals as a means of cooling, when a ferret begins to pant, it means you
have a heatstroke emergency and MUSt cool the ferret down immediately or
you will lose him.  Don't stick an overheated ferret into 'cold' water,
as it is just too much of a shock....rather, use lukewarm water and
circulating air, then slowly cool the water to a cool (but not cold)
temperature and be sure to get the ferret to an atmosphere with lower
temperature immediately afterwards, or he will be right back in the same
condition as soon as the water on skin/moving air combination is removed.

When taking your ferret to the vet in summertime, plan ahead and pre-cool
your car by running the air conditioner before you take the fuzzies out
to the car.  Make sure they are in an enclosure where the air conditioned
air can flow freely thru it.  Never ever, under any circumstance, leave
your ferret's cage in full sunlight without someplace they can get out of
the sun - direct sunlight can really make them overheat fast.  When we
travel in the car in summertime, I keep a towel over the top of the cage
so the sun coming in thru the car windows can't 'bake' the furkids.
Leave the front and sides open eough that the air conditioned air can
move thru the cage tho.

One last suggestion: Always touch the ground with the back of your hand
and feel how much heat is coming off the sidewalk, street or ground
before walking your pet in the summertime.  It gets hot down there where
they are - the hot ground can burn the delicate pads on the bottoms of
their feet, and we don't notice beause of our shoes protect our feet.
Always carry water with you in summertime when walking ferrets........
remember they are taking about 10 steps to each one of yours and they dry
out quickly and are very very grateful for that cool drink during the
walk.  Just a small tupperware type container with water and an ice cube
in it is perfect to stick in your pocket or purse; if you're going to be
gone very long, stick in a baggie of food too!  Ferret picnics during a
walk are a lot of fun!

Hopefully something here was of use to someone.  Living in the desert
makes us very very aware of summertime dangers.

Just some suggestions from the desert -

jacquie, kylie & gilbert
yuma, AZ  (where summer temps are over 100 degrees daily for months)