From:
Mike Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:25:07 -0400
>From:    Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Lupron depot experience
>
>When I purchased the 4 mo depot for our group of 4 and it didn't work
>for them, a month later they were in surgery which resulted in one death.

It's true that Lupron, no matter what formulation, does not work in all
cases.  If the gland is pumping out hormones independent of outside
influence, Lupron will do nothing.  4 out of 4 not responding is unusual.
I would be questioning the quality of the drug (I use Prof.  Arts and
have never had one problem), the storage and mixing method, method of
administration, dosage and how long the ferrets were adrenal.  Plus, if
you only waited one month to go to surgery, perhaps you did not wait long
enough before deciding it didn't work.  Years ago, one of mine required
several doses of the 1-month Lupron Depot before he began to turn around.
That was two months of treatment before we saw improvement, but then it
was swift, dramatic and lifelong with continued treatment.

>1. Once the depot form is mixed it has to be used immediately or be
>kept frozen in liquid nitrogen.  Any lupron that is received pre-mixed
>would indicate to me it isn't the depot form.  Please keep this in mind.

This is also true.  When we first started using Lupron Depot many years
ago, we were told it needed to be stored in liquid nitrogen once mixed;
however, some vets tried using a standard freezer and found no loss of
effectiveness or problems in the short term with this storage method.  I
don't know if a time frame has ever been determined as to when it becomes
"bad" when stored in this manner.  Around a month is a figure I've heard.
For vets that treat a lot of ferrets with Lupron Depot, the turnover rate
of the product is usually quick enough that standard freezer storage does
not appear to be a problem.

Personally, for the last several years I've been using the 4-month Lupron
Depot which my vet receives unmixed from Professional Arts Pharmacy.  In
this form it can be set on a shelf at room temperature until mixed.  It's
mixed right in front of me and the entire amount (1 mg) is injected.
Nothing is left so storage is not a concern.

> 2. Lupron works for only so long, then it quits working...

This may be true in some cases but that has not been my experience.  Mine
have been on Lupron for 4+ years.  Neither the dosage (1 mg of 4-month
Lupron Depot) nor the time between doses (4 months) has been altered in
that time and it has not ceased to work.  Will it cease to work at some
point in time?  Maybe, but since it has been effective for over 4 years,
I have my doubts that it will become ineffective in their lifetime.

Though I don't necessarily agree with this approach, my vet seems to
prefer Lupron treatment over surgery in most cases.  So I know they treat
a lot of ferrets with Lupron and have for years.  I'll be sure to ask him
next time I go in what his experience has been in terms of the length of
time of Lupron effectiveness and how many have had no response to Lupron.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-385-6750
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
*