From:
Mike Janke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2004 17:07:33 -0400
>From:    Sandi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: NO Ferrets were "LOST"
>
>I think it's pretty clear now, given Sukie's lengthy dissertation about
>everything EXCEPT these LOST ferrets, that her original statement was
>wrong and made just to be dramatize her point.  Unless Sukie wants to
>repeat that ferrets have died from receiving Lupron, I can put this topic
>to rest knowing that no ferrets have died because they were given Lupron.

I'll probably be sorry for sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong,
but what the heck, it won't be the first or last time.  I seem to be the
one that started this whole mess with my original post condemning the
use of 24 hour Lupron, so it seems only fitting that I put my two cents
in on the topic.

In my opinion, having followed the latest posts but without any
conversation about it with Sukie, it seems to me that Sukie's intention
was not to imply that ferrets died directly as a result of the Lupron
(whatever formulation), but that ferrets have died as a result of
improperly treating their adrenal disease with a Lupron formulation
that's not up to the task.

I have received several emails on the topic of 24 hr. Lupron since my
post.  One person commented that 5 of their ferrets were on the "regular"
Lupron.  This person decided to get the inexpensive "monthly" Lupron,
which, unknown to them, was really the 24 hr.  Lupron in question.  The
previous Lupron Depot treatment was working fine, but after starting on
the 24 hr.  Lupron, things went sour.  This Lupron did not work and 3 of
the ferrets ended up in surgery and died as a result.  I will be the
first to admit that the facts get a little foggy here as to the exact
cause of death.

Did they die as a result of being injected with 24 hr. Lupron?  No, of
course not.  It would be silly to think so.  Lupron is not toxic and
even minor reactions are so rare that they could almost be considered
non-existant.  Would they have lived out a normal life had they remained
on Lupron depot?  That's entirely possible.  If they remained on Lupron
Depot, which was working, they would not have gone into surgery, which
ultimately resulted in their death, whether the death was due to a
reaction to anesthetic, bleeding, etc.  So, did the 24 hr. Lupron kill
them?  If they were my ferrets, I would feel that way if I had been
misled as to the type of Lupron I was given, even if it wasn't the
direct cause.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael Janke, [log in to unmask]
* South Florida Ferret Help Line, 305-385-6750
*
* Website:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc
*