From:
Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:42:32 EST
Thank you for the information on the FML and off concerning teeth
cleaning, and for the kind condolences over Marias death.

Maria died..not from being put under to clean her teeth, but because I
was told she could not be put under, and that there was no other way to
clean a ferrets teeth of calculus and tartar.  This is not true.  When it
would be high risk to put a ferret under to clean the teeth with an
ultrasonic under anesthesia, they can be cleaned with hand instruments,
then followed up with an antibiotic.  the job will not be as thorough.
But it may well save a life.

I write this again, as a number of people think Maria died under
anesthesia.

Two of my little ones have developed ulcers since her death.  She was a
beloved treasure: a gift I was blessed to welcome into my life.  Everyone
loved her.  Even Mini-Me came to care for her.

She consistently ran on her tiny legs to welcome me home each and every
night.  She followed me from room to room each morning as I emptied
boxes, and carried food and water bowls.  As I went to the next room, I
would hold her in one hand.  It made everything take much longer.  But
she loved being carried.

At night, she would scritch-scratch under my pajama top to find my
stomach.  This had to be thoroughly bathed each night, and then gently
nipped everywhere in case I had fleas. :-)  Then her teensy being would
curl up to sleep.

Prayers to all of you with sick little ones.
Our home is like a hospital right now.