From:
Lisette Lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:57:47 EST
The last year of my life has involved major changes .  One of those is
caring for someone I love with Alzheimer's disease.  It started out some
Sundays, quickly evolved to every Sunday, and is now a good 12 hours OR
MORE every week.

I own my own business, work 42 to 50 hours a week, have all of the babies
to love on and care for, and basically have next to no free time anymore.
Today is just a fluke.  I started out later, and came home earlier due
to another member taking over a few hours for me And last week, I had a
vacation day all to myself.

We are trying to keep my mother out of a home for as long as possible.
She will hate it and us.  take my word for it.  So we are all trying to
keep her active and warm and healthy and happy.

Anyway, today, as I got her lunch, and cleaned her house, and got her
ready to go out...we were late for the movie 'The Big Fish.'  We are
late for almost everything.  Mom has moved quickly into late mid stage
Alzheimer's.  Everything takes a loooooong time.

We could wait standing in the theater for an hour for the next movie, or
see 'Along came Polly ' immediately.  Obviously, I was not going to keep
an 80 year old arthritic woman standing for an hour.

It is hard to say all that went through my mind as I saw the movie, as
I was not going to see the movie at all.  I felt guilty, a bit of a
traitor, and also worried if my mother would hate it, as she only
pretends to like my ferrets to be polite.  This was not our intended
movie.

But Mr. Stiller was believable to me as a hard facts man who lived very
cautiously, but was taken with Ms. Anniston's character.  He evolved
during the movie, and made me root for him and his endeavors, while
laughing at his attempts at the same time.  in the movie, he just accepts
the ferret as a part of the woman he is coming to care so much about.  He
is a very likable character.

She was believable as someone who did not want to commit to anything or
anyone.  She was just lovely, and had the most perfect/pretty figure.
Their interactions were novel and charming and humorous.  The other
characters were colorful ...adding more spice to the story.  It really
was a clever/ off the wall love story.

The ** ferret** (yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) showed up a bit here and a bit
there...just enough to tease me and please me through the movie...  No
animal was injured.  The fake ferret whirled by.  The glimpses of the
real one were thrilling for me.(And I DO mean glimpses.)

During the movie, I heard my mother laughing again and again.  She has
not liked a movie since I took her to see 'Little Women' years ago.  She
actually enjoyed this show.  She must have said 10 times after the movie
as I took her to the mall and to dinner how cute it was.  ..Mind you, she
will not remember the movie a month or a week from now.

I do not urge anyone to see it or not see it.  I had no intentions of
watching it.  It did not get very good reviews.It will not win an Oscar.
It was light zany wacky romance that I actually found believable.  .And
it had a creative, one of a kind potty scene with the ferret that had
the audience roaring.  I could actually picture someone doing the same
things.

Overall, I am glad now that I got to see one of the few movies EVER made
with a ferret in it.  This ferret looked lovable and cuddly.  When he
stands on his back legs in one scene, he looks as though he wants his
'mom' or 'dad' to pick him uppy.  One of my guys does that..just like a
little toddler.

Going back into lurk- when- I- can- mode.

Lisette, her babies, and a one year old angry,neglected/biter- rescue
that Mr. Stiller could not appreciate.  His loss entirely.