From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 09:47:50 -0400
If your ferret is losing weight, it wouldn't hurt to have them checked
out by your vet.  It's a good idea to do this at least yearly anyway.
But remember that this is the time of year when ferrets normally lose
weight in preparation for summer.

During the spring, many ferrets will lose weight, some will start
shedding and put on darker coats, and some will even "blow" their winter
coats all at once.  This is absolutely normal.  We actually don't see
as much of it as we should, since keeping our ferrets indoors tends to
throw off their seasonal cycles.

So, if your ferret is otherwise normal, energetic, and eating and pooping
as usual, you might just be seeing the normal springtime change.

Also keep in mind that some ferrets suddenly lose a lot of "baby weight"
when they're around a year old.

roger