From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:36:55 EDT
Wow, and you guys are not alone, I assure you.  This is probably one
of the hardest decisions to make when you've had to experience ADV in
your home.  Everyone who has had to deal with it has had to make this
decision.  It's a personal one, because unfortunately there is some lack
of research about how "risky" it is to other ferrets to bring them into a
home right after it has had adv ferrets living in it.  But there is lots
of anecdotal info out there, and some people who had had long standing
experience in this area to refer to.

Lets look at both sides of the coin.  First we'll look at the bad side,
okay?  The bad side is this... ADV can live on hard surfaces up to two
years.  ADV can be transferred to another ferret from all areas that have
been in contact with bodily fluids from your ferret (urine droplets,
feces, saliva, blood, etc).  With a ferret... that is pretty expansive.
So on this side of the coin, one can really be paranoid.  And rightfully
so.  Because we don't know.  Some feel its too high a risk.  But that is
very extremest.

The other side of the coin.  Is that there are homes and shelters that
have succesfully kept adv positive ferrets from infecting their negative
ferret for years!  Know, that these individuals however, are
extraodinary.  They are highly educated in this area, and are diligent
about not cross contaminating ferrets.  But it can be done.

Can a home that has had an ADV positive ferret all over it, clean up and
be safe enough for other ferrets?  I'd like to hear from those that have
experienced this also.  I"d like to hear from any experts about this
also.  I'd like to hear from shelters, and from adv shelters alike.

Personally?  I think if there ferrets were limited to specific areas
of the house that you can clean (linoleum surfaces, etc) well, it can
be done.  But do know, that means literally steralizing everything with
bleach water, and then to double do it with parvocide to be sure.  I
can't even imagine how perfectly the cage would have to be done.
Anything cloth, should be washed in a specific manner.... or just thrown
away.  But this is my personal belief.  I'm just every day joe Wolfy.  I
AM paranoid.  I imagine little germs hiding in carpet, etc..  But i know
that may very well be irrational.  I also think that it's possible.... to
do this.  But experts and those already successful in this area are the
only ones qualified to tell you how.

Boy I hope I did'nt put out any misinformation here.

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/