From:
John Julian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 10:56:26 -0500
>Bean box question
>How big should the box be?  How do you go about making one?

I have two types of bean boxes.  One is a plastic tub about 15 in. by 18
in by 11 in. tall.  It has no lid.  Its got 2-3 inches of navy beans in
it.  The ferts get very excited in it and will bite hard when playing in
it.  I wear heavy leather gloves when play in it with them.

The second is an "under bed" plactic box I picked up at Target.  It's
18 x 36 x 6 inch high.  It has a snap on lid which I cut a hole through
and attached a 4 inch PVC elbow.  It has 40 lbs of rice and a few real
rocks.  The ferts dig and nest in this box.  I extended the PVC to
connect to their cage so they can play in it while I'm at work.  Some
days it show no sign of use and other days I find 5 or 6 ferts sleeping
in it.