From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:23:34 -0700
Shelley had wrote about Kiki.  Her lost boy whom she finally found happy
as can be in the closet.  I would like to share a story about one of our
lost boys.

I can't tell you how many times I have been worried sick about finding
a "lost" baby.  The "best story" was the night that we took in ferrets
to board.  Now, you have to remember that I got these from the shelter
operator at the time.  I wasn't a shelter, just helping her out.  The
lady needed someone to watch her ferrets and our shelter couldn't do it
but didn't want to turn the ferrets away.  So they asked me if I would
watch them for 3 weeks.  I said ok and picked them up from the shelter.
I had been told before there were 5 of them.  Well, when I picked them
up I didn't count.  When I let them out, I didn't count.  I could only
remember 3 or 4 names though.

Well, late that night we went to put everyone to bed and guess what?  I
couldn't find one.  We looked everywhere in the house.  I was a mess.
How could I lose someone's baby?  I felt horrible.  I couldn't figure out
where he could have been.  How he could have gotten out.  But, after
tearing the house apart we decided that outside was the only place he
could be.  So, 3 people at 1 am are outside with flashlights calling for
a ferret that we didn't know the name of.  The police and boarder patrol
stopped to see what was going on and then offered to help.  After about 2
hours we gave up for the evening.  I cried and cried.  The next morning I
got up and went to work.  I called the shelter person I got the ferrets
from to see how many there were.  She said there were 4 ferrets, not 5.
I almost died.  Thank God.

So, now we have a "ferret" in our house named Ghost.  No one ever sees
him.  He doesn't need to be fed or played with.  He is only there to
remind us how precious each and every one is.  He watches over all of
our babies, and never leaves their side.

We still go crazy when we can't find one.  But I do no now not to panic
as I did that night.  I couldn't think straight and that could have cost
a baby it's life.

We are now running the shelter and have a boarding contract.  We make
sure we know the names of the ferrets and how many there are.  Most
importantly....I let Shawn do the thinking when I can't find one!

Joanne Ruffner
Ferret Corner Shelter
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz