From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 10:54:14 -0500
>what happens when a kit has not been bought in a store & is much
>older? - say to an extent it's considered to not be a kit anymore?

That's a good question.  The only way to know the answer is to ask at
that particular store - and hope they're telling you the truth.  The
store might keep it until it sells, reduce the price, or destroy it.
Most likely they will return it to the breeder who may destroy it or
send it for research.  But this is all guessing - I don't know what your
particular store or breeder is going to do.

It's very likely that the ferret isn't getting medical care.  CD shots
are recommended at 9, 12 and 15 weeks, but it's not necessary that they
be given exactly then.  This ferret is going to need the adult series
(two shots three weeks apart) when he finally gets a home.  Yes, anyone
could carry the virus in - it's unlikely, but possible.  If this is an
MF kit, he already got his first CD shot at the farm, and hopefully that
would be enough to protect him from a minor exposure.

We have a couple like this - a pair who were "Christmas leftovers" from
last year.  They would not sell, and the store was already putting
after-Christmas kits in the same enclosure with them.  What's going to
sell better - the cute little kits or the older, full-size ferrets?
Fortunately this store will keep them until they sell and will
*eventually* discount them.  We were lucky enough to get them discounted
on the weekend we finally decided to take them home.

If you want to take this kid home, ask the store about discounting him.
He's just costing them more and more in feed every week, and isn't going
to sell well at full-size anyway....

roger & the fuzzies
missing bear