From:
Kris Kriskius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 23:29:13 EST
Dear FML,

A request addressed to Kim Fox, for a friend's ferret in Baltimore,
Maryland proved to be a no go.  I was flatly, privately, rudely, refused
any vet info by Ms. Fox.

Fortunately, many good folks in Maryland did contact me, one of which was
the Director of Shelter Affairs for Rocky's Ferret Rescue and Shelter,
Barb Clay.  I do know Barb, and I do support her shelter, but I did not
know that she would be so quick to offer her assistance.  She provided me
for my friend, who does not have internet access, many vet references.  I
trusted her recommendations after all the years of shelter experience and
the amount of ferrets that her shelter has had surgery performed.

After a few emails exchanged, I decided to call and speak to her
directly.  This was one of the most positive experiences I have ever
encountered in the ferret community.  This shelter works to educate,
and they work hard.  This shelter has a zero tolerance with neighboring
"shelters" that do not vaccinate for distemper or believe that ADV is
some myth for labs to make money.  Some may call it flaming of blasting.
I call it RESPONSIBLE SHELTERING!  Rocky's is a shelter that adopts and
educates.  Part of their Contract is free distemper vac's for the life
of the adopted ferret.  Barb was implicit that by no means was this free
vaccination to take the place of an annual check up, but it was their
built-in follow up mechanism for the life of the ferret and family.
What a great idea!!!!!!  Ms. Clay was proud to also tell me that if my
friend's ferret needed a cagemate, that within the wonderful network of
Maryland shelters, we could certainly find that right ferret.  She has
ferrets, yet recommended my friend to visit Oxford Ferret Rescue in
Elkton, Md.  That's networking, and very generous as far as shelters go.

I was able to direct my friend to a vet clinic that also shares Rocky's
diligence of protection, vaccinating and testing, Falls Road Animal
Hospital.  I gave my friend the referral and she was met with
professional people doing a professional job.  The surgery will be
scheduled after the initial examination and meeting with the vet.

I will keep everyone posted on how the surgery goes.

Kris