From:
christine belsom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 07:54:03 -0700
Greetings Ferret fanatics!

Just thought I would share this, partially because I was commanded to do
so (along with the rest of yas) and partially because when I saw this I
was tired and sick and it was more restorative than an after-work beer!

So I come home from work the other day and let the ferreties out like
normal.  I still have lots of weddng stuff to do, so I'm putting together
a list of addresses and things and yelling "Mab!  Get off the table!"
whenever I hear something fall over.

The cats love to chase the ferrets.  It's one of the things they live
for.  To the cats, especially the 4 month old, Rodan, the ferrets are
like those furry weasel toys except even more unpredictable (i.e. they
go in different directions without having to be batted around).  I hear
pitta-pitta-pitta-pathump-pathump and see balls of black, white, and
sable fur race by out of the corner of my eye.  I think nothing of it.
This is normal.  Then everyone disappears for a short while.  This isn't
uncommon, either.  A lot of times they'll all go play hide-n-seek under
the dresser.  So I'm minding my own business when I hear the fiance
laughing and also the sound I usually hear when Mab attacks the bicycle
wheel (bicycle hangs on the wall of the office; Mab loves to see the
free wheel spin for some reason) I get up to tell fiance not to let the
ferrets play with the bike b/c they could hurt themselves and walk in on
the most amazing sight.

Scenario:

One Trek road bike mounted on the wall close to the ground (only place
we could find with a stud for the rack).  One small sable ferret (Mab)
on the bicycle seat, and I swear she is taunting Rodan and Xander, the
cats.  Rodan is hanging from the curtain on the window next to the bike
with three paws while desperately trying to bat Mab with the free one.
Xander, who is too large to hang from the drapery (and who has actually
listened when we discouraged him from doing so) is fiercely attacking the
bicycle wheel.  If you not near the one you want to attack, attack the
one you're near!  Meanwhile, Dustbin, our large albino, is dancing in
place near the scene, all by himself, like he's laughing with his body --
you all know how they do that!!!!  I nearly died.  Then Rodan suddenly
decided she had had enough and took a flying leap at Mab.  Mab does a
weird karate looking jump to combat this and ends up on Rodan's back
while Rodan scrabbles for purchase on the bike seat.  Mab is trying to
give Rodan an ear cleaning when (of course) they slide off and bounce
right into Dustbin who is still having Dustbin's Dance Party on the
floor.  This increases Dustbin's frantic fuzzy dance which winds up
the already excited kitty-ferret ball into a kitty-ferret-ferret ball!
Finally, Xander pounces on the whole thing, causing Rodan to leap
straight into the air (like cats do when they get too excited) and
scurry away.  The rest made a mad dash after her.

James and I were laughing so hard that James almost inhaled Budweiser.
It's so funny how they can get themselves all wound up into a chain
reaction!  Like a live Rube-Goldberg device or something!!!

dooks and whisker kisses to all,

Mab ("Nyah Nyah, can't get me -- oops!")
Dustbin ("I'm a dance, dance, dancing machine, watch me get --hey!")
Rodan ("Gonna get ya! Hah!...Acck!"
Xander ("Hey guys!  Come back!")