From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 20:38:42 EDT
>I have a baby ferret 8 mo. old who insists on hiding her food.  I know
>they do this as my Mitzi had done this when she was younger.  My problem
>is, that i am having to deal with massive amounts of those little sugar
>ants because there has been so much rain here lately they are trying to
>find shelter.  I pick up her food as much as I can find that she has
>hid.  I don't want to spray for ants as I know this is not good on their
>respitory systems.  I have had this problem in the past, but never this
>bad.  Is there something natural I can use to get rid of them that won't
>hurt the ferrets, they sleep and play in this room.

Hi Lynn ~

Get a dried herb called pennyroyal.  It is wonderful for removing bugs.
Make a tea using one cup of water to a teaspoon of the herb.  Pour into a
spray bottle and spray the areas where the ants are.  Keep refrigerated,
and replace every 2 days.  You may need to do this for a few days.  I
would not let your ferret eat the sprayed food though.  Pennyroyal is not
an herb that has been investigated for small animal consumption, and can
be stimulating to bigger animals (agh!!!).

Warmly ~
Mary
Herbalist
The Conley Farm - organic herbs