From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:45:35 EDT
Hi Risa,

I can give lots of advice on this subject.  I must say its not any one
thing that you do that will make a difference for your boyfriend... its
the collection of things that you do that will make a difference.  The
tiniest of things can send someone who has allergies over the edge.
After that point its like a domino effect.  Things that don't usually
bother his allergies, will greatly affect him once they are full blown
from other strong offenders.  So be sure that when you go to clean and
change your environment you do so collectively.  In other words... steam
cleaning a rug or washing ferret laundry every couple days won't help.
But.... steam cleaning the rug AND taking washing ferret laundry AND
etc., etc, etc, will help.

If there is a lot of animal urine in the rugs, I can tell you, that
little will help that if he is truly allergic to them (and not so much to
dust, etc).  They say that Natures Miracle will break it down, and that
steam cleaning regularly helps.  All that does "help" a little.  But once
a rug is saturated with urine over time you can't get rid of it... not
truly and not to those that are so allergic to it.

However there are many other things you can do.  Go to my allergies page
on my site (and my "so your ferret smells" page) for a whole list of
various things that done together can make a huge difference.

As far as meds.  Off counter options that are safe would be Tavist
(without the decongestent)..  it can take an "edge" off of allergies or
Benedryl (plain)... that is the strongest and truly works, but it's
impossible for some to take as it has harsh sedative results (try strong
coffee with it to counteract that effect).  Prescriptions can include
Allegra, or Clariton like meds..  Those are very effective and have
virtually no side effects.  It helps to have such presriptions such as
Nasonex, or Flonase, or even a corticosteroid such as nasocort with your
antihistamine (all these nasal meds are not truly strong enough to help a
moderate to severe situation with allegies alone).

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/allergies.html

ps there is a wav on here of a ferret doing a wicked "panting" or
"he-he'ing", if you want to hear it