Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 01:54:36 -0700
Lipinski wrote:
>AnswerMn: As I understand, the physiology of the ferret's throat is
>closest anatomically to the premature infant's throat. So it seems
>that the least of two evils maybe is to kill a couple of ferrets rather
>than risking an inept nurse killing an infant because she had no prior
>practice on a ferret. It goes without saying that most of these ferrets
>live but for a short time after receipt from the ferret mills.

That part of the course (at every medical college, not just the U of W)
is for nurse practitioners and physicians....not just any/every nurse.
I too think it's horrible for my ferret friends to be subjected to this
and think they could practice their technique on (rubber) baby models.
But....while it's certainly possible that a ferret could be injured
during these procedures, I know for a fact that most of these ferrets at
the U of W are NOT killed and do NOT die.  They are "used" until they are
about 6 months old and then "retired" and the next batch of young ferrets
are brought in.

As Ed says, it's difficult to get exact numbers from the U of W and I'm
sure things happen there and at other universities that the public never
hears about.  But the U of W has a hush, hush program that allows these
ferrets to be adopted.  Most of the ferrets are adopted by students or
employees (Keep in mind that the U of W also employees veterinarians.)
If a home cannot be found, the ferrets are quietly moved out to a rescue.

Sandi
PS: Ed's right, about the "Board of Physicians and one non-professional
citizen ..... that governs all animal testing procedures" at the U of W
and it's certainly possible that Ed's talked to that person.  While
disturbing, it's also very possible someone obtained approval for a study
that including removing the heart of a ferret while he's under heavy
anaesthesia. :-(
[Oh my god!  It sounds like I'm defending Lipinski!  It can't possibly
be so.]

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 7 days/week or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org