From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:02:47 -0700
Hello everyone!  I wanted to jump in here a little bit and let everyone
know some things.  If I get flamed for it then so be it... just mail the
flames to [log in to unmask] (LOL)

Ok.  First, about 2 months ago I reported on Pet stores in Tucson, AZ.
I went to 3 pet stores and 2 of them were PetCo stores.  I only found a
problem with one store...and that was the PetCo one on Craycroft and
Broadway.  Here is what I found at that time:

There was NO food, the bottom of the tank had a lot of poop in it.  What
they had done was just put more bedding on top of the poop so they didn't
have to clean the tank.  They ferrets were all just laying there.  There
was nothing in the tank but the ferrets, empty food bowls and water
bottles.  I opened the door and went to reach in when I got a HORRIBLE
smell.  Couple ferrets were a little thin but not too bad.  They seemed
scared when I picked them up.  They were all very bitey and were jumping
to get out of the tank.  All of their nails needed to be clipped though I
wasn't allowed to do it.  The clerk filled one food bowl and wet it down
after we asked but would not fill the other one.

I spoke with Mike Gavin, Store Manager that night and he seemed very
concerned.  We even talked about doing a class for them.

Here is the update:

I am VERY impressed with what Mr. Gavin has done.  We went into the store
after picking up a rescue from the area.  I went right over to the ferret
tank and couldn't believe what I saw!  There, hanging in the tank was a
large cube for them to sleep and play in.  Attached to that was a tube so
they could climb up to it easily.  Also, attached on the tube were two
tennis balls, hung low enough for them to play with.  Their two bowls
were filled with food and their water bottles full and close enough for
them to drink out of.  The cage was pretty clean (just fresh potties).
The only concern I had was one of the ferrets that didn't sell apparently
from the last shipment.  He looked to be about 3-4 months old.  Very
large.  He was in the same cage.  However I held him and he seemed really
sweet and wasn't fighting or hurting any of the other ones.  He is too
big for the tank that they have.  I hope he sells soon.  I would have
gotten him...but at 7 right now and running the shelter it wouldn't have
been a good move for me.  They did check to see if he was a return and he
wasn't.

Mr. Gavin just happen to be there too.  And he remembered us!  We set up
the date for the training for the last Sunday in August.  I can't wait!
We discussed the tank and the new ones that are coming in that are larger
and give the ferrets more room.

A little step can go a long way.

Also

I would like to let everyone know that about two weeks ago I spoke with
Steve from PetCo and Alex from Animals Etc.  We discussed a lot of
things over the phone and both were VERY helpful and answered all of my
questions/concerns/rumors.  We arranged to have the ferrets ADV tested.
Both agreed to this.  We decided that doing it once a month on a couple
batches of kits would be a good start.  Still trying to work on getting
the breeder ferrets tested.

There has been a lot of fussing and complaining about PetCo and Animals
Etc and every other distributor of ferrets.  You know what?  It could be
worse... how so?  Well let's see... if you take away all of the large
facilities then you are left with "backyard" breeders.  Now, some small
breeders are WONDERFUL, and yet others are horrible.  Don't believe me?
Look at this site (not for the weak hearted though)
http://www.pooflinger.com/xmasrescue/

Don't get me wrong...I want our ferrets happy and healthy and everything
else.  But we need to work with them and responsibly to get things
changed.  Yelling and screaming does not work....not normally.

As for which distributors that PetCo uses... well the east coast is
coming from Animals Etc, (which are Path Valley Farm ferrets) and the
west coast is coming from another distributor with Marshall farm ferrets.
Why?  Not too sure, other than that is how it worked out so far.

I have heard it said that Animals Etc. knows they have ADV ferrets and
don't care.  Well, if they did I would think that 1) it would kill their
business and 2) we would have more ferrets with ADV showing up.  I am not
saying that they don't.  What I am saying is that there is a possibility
that they (Animals Etc.) might have it or they might not.  Maybe it is a
customer that has positive ferrets, or a store employee with it.  You
just don't know.

Instead of pointing fingers we need to stop and listen and talk and then
work together.  I have been silent on this because I didn't want to start
a rush of hate mail to me but I don't want to stay quiet any longer.

Give this a shot to work.  It is a step in the right direction.  There
are other steps in the works with both PetCo and with Animals Etc. that
I am working on and hopefully will have more details in about 6 months.

Boycotting a pet store because of what some stores are doing is not the
way to go.  Bring it up to the management, and then higher if you need
to.  Let's work together to help the ferrets not hurt them.

Joanne Ruffner
Ferret Corner Shelter