Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:32:59 -0700
This is a great thread Wolfy started.  Since I have only a little over a
years experience with ferrets I have very little to contribute, but it
started me *watching* them with memory in mind.

My kids are not free roam.  They have their own play room and are in
*lock down* (cage) at night.  As I don't want their room to become a
*cage* I take them to my bedroom/bath for play time while I supervise and
play with them.  I also do things like fold laundry, pay bills, make the
bed, sew, etc... That way I accomplish something, they get special
attention and join in whatever I'm doing.

I notice the first thing The Kidd will do is climb the cat cubby onto the
bed to see if there is laundry to fold.  His specialty.  If not, he's off
to get into the bath tub, via dumping the waste basket if I forgot to set
it up.  The Little Kidd heads for the clothes hamper every time.  It has
openings for handles and he makes it in on the first jump.  This morning
I removed it before playtime, he was obviously perplexed and a bit miffed
it was missing.  He kept going to where it should be, running to chortle
to his buddies, back to empty spot.  He then came to be picked up, and if
ferret eyes could talk......... I put it back and then watched as he
gleefully smacked his head on the wall, basket, toilet.  How DO they keep
form bashing their brains.  Parris is a bit causious.  Tippytoes all
around, re-arranges the bath rugs to her Princess liking, puts my shoes
where they belong.  She will NOT get into the tub with her bruds.  She
can, and has.  Not long ago she was in with the others, they left, I was
out of the room, she panicked.  For some reason she thought she couldn't
get out.  It often took her several tries, great exercise.  This time she
was alone and apparently became frightened.  She screamed bloody murder
and I went to her aid.  That was about 3 months ago, she hasn't been in
the tub since.  One day I'll put something in there so she has an easy
out.  For now, I respect her fear.  She will stand on tippytoes and watch
the bruds play, no way she wants in.  Tubphobia.

In Touch, Ardith