From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 00:05:38 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=418

>Does adrenal disease show up on x-ray and or ultra sound?
>
>My local vet thinks that this is the best way to diagnose adrenal
>disease.  Nothing showed up on our current x-ray.  Also, she states
>there is no blood work available to test adrenal.  I'm pretty sure
>there is.

Dear X:

Survey radiographs generally only pick up adrenal tumors if they are
very large - or very advanced.  Ultrasound may be more sensitive,
however, it is still relatively insensitive, as you may often have small
estrogen-secreting tumors that do not result in an overall enlargement
of the gland, or other noticeable change.

The blood panel available through the Dept. of Endocrinology at the
University of Tennessee College of Vet Med is predictive in about 95% of
cases and is overall a very effective blood test.

That being said, I'm not sure that the advice that you were given is
current...

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM