Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 20:22:05 -0700
"Coppinger, Hannah" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Anywho, Iwas just wondering, do you guys want to close petcos or just get
>people tht are better educated about animals, or do you want to get where
>pets arent being sold there at all anymore?

Petco has proven over and over again that they do not care for any
species of animals.  There have been rumors and innuendos for years about
petco putting live animals in freezers to kill them.  Now, Animal Control
officers in San Francisco (for one) have warned them for the past three
years to shape up.  CORPORATE petco is at the root of the problem.  Their
regional and district managers operate on commission and if they spend
their money on vet bills it directly effects their take home pay.
Working with individual stores solves nothing.

Animal groups (bird, rabbits, rodents, reptile) have tried for years
working to educate individual petcos.  It simply has not worked.  In
addition to these other species, ferrets have recently been dying at
petcos' NOT because they were purchased from MF, but because petco won't
take care of the babies after they arrive.  Blame it on MF for shipping
babies too young if you want, but my blame is on petco for buying them
too young.

On the same vein, I also put the "blame" directly on people who continue
to purchase animals from petco.  It's the purchaser who has the power
to stop the problem.  If petco doesn't want young babies, MF will stop
shipping them.  If petco's customers stop buying the young ferrets or
ALL ferrets, petco will stop selling them.

We want petco to stick to what they were incorporated to do...sell
products FOR the animals...not sell the animals.  Many shelters on this
list, support petco, take blood money from petco and look the other way
when animals die.  Now that they're buying ADV positive ferrets will
these shelters and shows continue their support of petco?

Sandi
PS: And NOOOOOO.  I am NOT in agreement with Danielle on the petco issue.
She's done more damage to our efforts in Washington state to communicate
with petco, than any other 100 people.

Best Little Rabbit, Rodent & Ferret House
a non-profit animal shelter
14325 Lake City Way NE
Seattle, WA 98125
(206)365-9105
Open 7 days/week or visit our on-line store at:
http://www.rabbitrodentferret.org