From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:05:59 -0700
Hello everyone.  I have been quiet for a little while....but now I am
back :-)  I know, I hear the moaning and groaning now!

I would like to talk to everyone quickly about accidents and hazards in
the house.  Every once in awhile something happens that reminds us about
it....and this is one of those times.  I will try to keep it short and
sweet....

Samantha, one of our new shelter ferrets, has been with us for a month
now.  She is a beautiful cinnamon and very smart.  She is a year old.
She doesn't get into trouble and loves to play with both people and other
fuzzies.  She has been so good at night that sometimes we allow her to
stay out in the bedroom.  (our other ones make TOO much noise and like to
bite toes under the covers :) )

The other day, Shawn was home from work and the ferrets were all out.  He
was in the bedroom with one group...Samantha's group.

Well there is a 3 drawer wood dresser in there and they all love to sleep
in the drawers.  So the drawers are always pulled out to allow them easy
access to it.

Shawn heard a cough or sneeze and looked over at the dresser.  Flower
popped her head out of the second drawer, so he figured it was her.  A
little while later this happened again, and once again, Flower came out.
This went on for a little while.  Could have been 5 minutes or 30
minutes.

Finally, there was a cough, but no ferret stuck their head out.  So Shawn
went to look.  He saw Flower staring at him and Chocolate all curled up
sleeping right next to Samantha's butt.  All he could see of Samantha was
her butt.  She had somehow stuck her head out of the back of the dresser
and was now stuck.  Her neck was stuck!  She was breathing but having a
hard time.

After several tries to free her, he finally got her loose.  The dresser
is solid wood.  He had to make a fist and shove it between the second and
first drawer.  The space for her to stick her head was less than 1/2 and
inch.

After being freed she laid in his arms.  We called the vet and gave her
some prednisone to help with the swelling.  We kept a close eye on her
all night.  She slept a lot and would only eat duck soup and drink some
pediliate (all from a syringe).

The next day there was little improvement so we decided it would be best
to take her in.  The vet looked her over and said that she appeared to
only be bruised and a little swollen around her neck.  She told us to
keep her on the pred. and monitor her.  If she didn't get any better in
a day or two to bring her back.

Well, by that night she was up and running.  Still a little sore but
nothing major.  Since then she has returned to her normal self.

So...why bring this up?  Because, this dresser had been there for over a
year.  The ferrets have always gone in and out of it without ANY problem.
Now, we have to relook and adjust things to ensure that it is safe again.
Please always remember that your house is never ferret proofed.  When you
go home tonight, check out everything once again and try to remember
where problem areas could come up.  Always be on the look out and always
remember, ferrets will test everything sooner or later.  So what you
thought was safe...could turn out not to be.  Just watch your babies.

Joanne
Ferret Corner Shelter
www.geocities.comm/ferretcorneraz