From:
Nicole Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 10:27:25 -0500
First and foremost, this post is in no way meant to offend, so out of
respect for one another's opinions, please do not spam me.

I am currently a part-time employee of a PETCO in Richfield, MN.  First,
we DO NOT sell ferrets at our location.  I agree with the rest of the
carpet shark slaves that ferrets are companion animals and should be
treated as such and not sold at pet stores.  The reasoning behind that
being that ferrets are illegal in Minneapolis (which is basically across
the street).

As far as part-time wages go, I work about 20-25 hours per week and I
started at $8 per hour (not bad considering min.  wage is $5.25).  The
reason I am working there is #1) ferrets, cats and dogs are expensive
(must have 2nd job), #2) I really enjoy working with animals and I
believe I am quite knowledgeable when it comes to most domesticated pets.

No, I am not posting to say that PETCO is perfect by any means and Yes, I
can see where you are coming from.  I think myself that there are a few
things about PETCO that could change.  Example: we have a chinchilla
right now in a cage that is FAR too small for him, however, that is not
standard practice.  This chinchilla was surrendered to us and we had no
where else to put him.  And, yep, there are WAY too many mice in the
mouse cage, which leads to more bloody, territorial fights than you can
shake a stick at.  But there are some things that are contrary to popular
belief.  At my store (and I am only speaking of my store and not PETCO as
a whole) we are all very well trained at the proper care of birds.  The
majority of our parrots, amazons, conures and other larger birds come to
us still needing hand feeding.  Every person working in our small animal
department MUST know how to hand feed and must learn with assistance
before they can do it on their own.  I consider my co-workers to be quite
educated in proper care for every reptile, fish or any other small animal
we sell.  I make it my personal duty to make sure almost every animal
gets attention during my shift.  Whether it means getting peed on by a
hamster or getting my ear nibbled raw by a bird.  I KNOW that an
ignored/neglected animal has no respect for people and therefore wants
nothing to do with you and yours.  I want to emphasize that I am only
speaking of my store.  My opinions are reflections of what I know about
the Richfield, MN store ONLY!  Maybe I consider it working on the inside
and maybe I just really like the store I work for.  I am not sure which.

Last, I have to comment on a post I read today:
>To any shelter operator who is reading this post...if you can get
>anything back from Petco...DO IT!  Do not feel bad about it.  I have
>tried for the past three years to get Petco to donate to shelters.
>Mostly, money not supplies because supplies don't pay vet bills!  Excuse
>me, Dr. X, can I pay you in ferretvite or Marshall Farms hammocks?  I
>don't think so.

You should be grateful and happy with anything anyone gives you!  If
PETCO gives you Ferretvite and hammies, it seems to me like you have to
spend less on Ferrevite and hammies.  Correct me if I am wrong, but THERE
IS YOUR VET $$!  I can see that you are fed up with vet bills and stingy
companies like PETCO, but is that any reason to complain that you are
"only" getting supplies?  Some shelters are hard up for supplies.  Be AT
THE VERY LEAST grateful you have what you've got.

Nicole, Silly Girl and Daisy Dooks