From:
Barbara Griswold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:02:47 EST
>The latest update I heard on the Marshall Farms break in was that it was
>not PETA, but another group.  I believe they said the Animal Liberation
>Front.  They took 10 ferrets and 30 beagles.  Did any of you know they
>also breed beagles?  I had not heard that before.  The group was
>apparently responsible for breaking into a mink farm somewhere near MF a
>few years ago too.

Hello

You are correct on this basis...10 ferrets and 30 beagles.  As to the
question about the beagles; Marshall Farms has a very large installation.
( I live about 2 hours away; and yes, they do not allow anyone in the
facility unless specifically invited.  :-( ) They raise beagles for lab
purposes.

Perhaps some of you might remember a couple of years ago, someone(s)
burned down a beagle barn in protest.  No ferrets were involved.

My vet was invited for a personal tour of the MF a year or so ago.  He
came back saying that MF has about 50,000 ferrets that are sold a year.
Not all are for pets; in fact, probably more are sold for lab purposes.
Sigh...all I can say is I hope these Animal Liberation people can take
care of the animals they took.

Do I like it?  NOT!  Unfortunately I also live about 45 minutes from
Triple F.  They, too, will not allow anyone onsite.  A local pet store
told me they were getting kits from Triple F out on the side of the
highway!  I think I was able to convince them not to buy from them
anymore but what's the alternative?  Buying kits from MF.  Damned if you
do, damned if you don't in this particular case.

Barb and her 6 whirling dervishes...Gus, Hope, Bren Kate, Tess, Cher and
Zak in memorian.

Please give to Aleutian Disease research...the ferret you save may be your
own.  http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom