From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:07:46 -0800
I can certainly understand this Ann Anonymously being upset with
flames she has recd that are not CIVIL and have profanity, threats or
name-calling in them.  I have not seen any such flames on the FML, so
they must be coming to her privately?  No idea since it would be hard
to email someone without an email address.

Here is my perspective (this is NOT a flame against Kim S or anyone
else who defends the above person's original post).  Let's analyze the
situation.  This person posts a very negative message about ferrets
(actually, it sounded very hateful) to a list of ferret owners who are
very, very passionate about these creatures.  Then this person gets upset
about what transpires?  Perhaps this person needs to go back and re-read
their original post, which sure sounded to me (and lots of others given
the reaction) that she hates ferrets and I believe even stated "I will
never own ferrets again." Actually, I found that the best thing about her
post, if this is how she truly feels about ferrets.  More for the rest
of us!

If one were to go onto a mailing list or forum about the September 11th
attacks (which we all feel passionately about, just as we feel passionate
about our ferrets) and were to state "I think terrorism is good and
America deserves what it got" how do you think this person would be
treated?  Would you then defend this person when others start "flaming"
them?  Yes, this is an extreme analogy, but it has a very strong point.
This anonymous person has apparently been on the FML for a long time
(according to BIG), so by now this person knows how passionate FMLers are
about ferrets.  I can certainly understand being a "frustrated" ferret
owner, but I don't understand her need to belittle Ferret X and post such
hateful material.  I believe that Randy stated it best when he said that
not being able to put an identity on this person (posting anonymously),
makes people suspicious, hit it right on the head.  I certainly did not
read the original post as a "vent".  Perhaps if she said, "I sure hate it
when Ferret X takes the remote control or it drives me nuts when Ferret X
does this, and I am truly at a loss on what to do" would have been more of
a vent and less of a "I am never getting ferrets again" or "ferrets suck".
Do you see the difference?

So to Ann O, next time you go to any list or newsgroup on the Internet
where people are very passionate about a topic, and you decide to spew
something completely the opposite, you should expect to be chastised.
Nobody has used profanity or name-calling towards you, everyone has been
civil.  I have posted "controversial" stuff and have been aware that some
are going to disagree (hopefully without the profanity, etc...) however,
that was my choice and I accept the responses (the civil ones).  On some
lists, people have called this "trolling" on occasion.  Whether that is
a fair assessment or not, I don't know.

That is how I feel.  Actually, with the post this anon person made, I
expected to see much worse responses (I bet BIG had to reject some).
There has been no flaming I have seen, just people voicing their opinions
and concerns, civilly.  What I consider "flaming" is someone swearing at
you and calling you names and/or making threats, that just has not occured
on this forum and probably wont because it is moderated.

If you want to see some true "flaming", put your original post on
Alt.pets.ferrets.  Trust me, you will experience the meaning behind
"flaming".

Thanks for letting me "vent".