From:
Sue Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:05:47 EDT
First and foremost, let me thank everyone who responded to my post about
a Boston area vet.  I recieved so many emails!  I think I responded to
everyone, but just in case I missed one or two (or five is the most likely
case with me LOL) I wanted to send out a very grateful thank you from
myself & the boys.

Second: I wanted to write in with my favorite.  I think this whole thing
we're doing is just adorable.

Dante is my favorite, my albino baby, and my first ferret.  He stole my
heart about the second I laid eyes on him.  While he doesn't give mom
kisses, he will come to me and poke his whole face into my hand, expecting
me to scritch his entire head for him.  He just wants his lovin, when he
wants it and only then.  LOL.  He has a HUGE shoe fetish (just like mom -
but my fetish is a little different LOL) and will sit at my boyfriend's
feet when Eric comes over and wait for him to take off his shoes just so
he can climb inside (blech) and molest them to death.

Toby is my favorite because Toby is solely responsible for teaching me
ferret math.  Why just have two when you can have six?  I found the
wonders of a ferret shelter because of Toby's adoption.  I adopted Toby
from one of MaFF shelter's, and will hopefully never purchase another kit
from a pet store again - why would I do that when I could save an older
and just as sweet ferret?  Though, of course, I can never say never...when
I see a need I try to help best as I can.  So, if a ferret is in need at a
pet store...well, you guys get the hint.  So Toby has taught me that as
well.

Paul is my favorite because he has taught me that being old, deaf and
blind does not mean you are dead and have no quality of life.  Paul was
found abandonded in a trash can in Boston and turned into the MSPCA, and
was turned over to the same shelter Toby was in.  They became bestest
friends in the shelter and when I adopted Toby (he got along so well with
Dante - Toby that is - I couldn't say no to Paul).  Paul taught me that I
am the person with the handicap when I hesitated to adopt him and decided
to foster for a while just in case I couldn't handle it.  He is officially
mine now that I have gotten over my handicaps.  People DO adopt older and
handicapped ferrets.  Paul has taught me that.  Paul, Toby and Dante are
now a bonded triple shot of ferret fuzzies and I could never seperate
that.  Paul finally has security in his life.

My next two favorites I couldn't figure out who to place first in the
order.  Tough call, because they came into my life about the same time
frame.

Templeton is my favorite because he is my "first" rescue.  I rescued him
from a pet store who had taken him in.  The owner felt she couldn't handle
him any more.  He is a chubber, as I've written before!  I don't think his
first mommy ever let him out to play.  He has gotten a lot better and a
lot more active since I brought him home, and has gotten used to his three
brothers (wait till I bring home his new sister next weekend....I'm sure
there will be hell to pay then LOL).  He's so fat (no, not a fat joke..
LOL...Mom is a fat chick herself) that when he is trying to play with the
other boys, he can't get his fat butt thru the tube they love to play in,
and it's about 7 inches across.  He makes it halfway in and then Mom has
to come bail him out.  LOL.  He is my favorite because he is my first
rescue that I brought home.

Johnny B is my favorite because he has taught me that ferrets are
determined little critters.  Well, maybe I should say that he has
reinforced that I have been taught ferrets are determined little critters.
I heard about Johnny B at a baby shower I had been attending out in
Western Mass.  An aunt of the girl having the baby had found Johnny B
laying in the street with blood on his lip and he didn't have use of his
hind legs.  They thought he had been hit by a car.  The aunt didn't know
anything about ferrets, nor did she know me, so she called the city police
and had them pick him up.  I called the police that night (Pittsfield) and
found where he had gone.  I called the vet clinic (all the way from Boston
and the ferret was found in Pittsfield MA, about a two hour drive).  I
emailed the shelter director where I adopted Toby & Paul from and she
arranged for pick up of Johnny B.  Johnny didn't have a name at that
point, and the shelter foster dad who picked him up pretty much named him
on the spot.  Johnny B was very very thin from living out in the wild so
long, and was super sweet.  The girl at the vet clinic told me she was
holding him when I called and he was giving her kisses.  It just seemed to
me that Johnny B knew I was coming into his life and was determined to
stay alive just because he knew, so that is why he is a determined little
critter.  Right now he is still at the shelter, gaining weight and being
cared for; but he will most likely be coming home with me because he and
my boys get along so wonderful (they went for a shelter visit and got to
play with him the weekend after we rescued him).  Johnny B is my favorite
because he waited for me to find him.

So there are my favorites!  I am sure I will have more to add to the list
soon!  Cheryl...you need to write in about your favorites!  LOL.

Thanks guys,

Sue
Dante "Ma, Froot Loops! Now!"
Toby "Pinned Ya!"
Paul "I'm OLD? I'm DEAF? I'm BLIND TOO? I don't believe you...and just to
prove it I'm gonna go kick Dante and Toby's butts!"
Templeton "No, really, I just wanna lay here and whine when other boys come
near me...no, really, I don't wanna know what being a ferret is all about,".