From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 01:21:29 -0400
>He is 8 years old, blind AND deaf as well.  You know what?  He gives the
>two younger ones a serious run for their money.  He plays, runs around
>like a madman, dooks (I have heard him...has anyone ever heard a deaf
>ferret dook?  LOL), tackles, pounces, and climbs just as well as the other
>two.  He really HAS NO IDEA of his "handicap" (it is funny to watch when
>he is so into playing with the other two, forgets where he is, turn around
>and bump into a wall though LOL).

Yes, that sure does happen with ferrets!  Since smell is their most
important sense you can actually get some essential oils of herbs, fruits,
and non-poisonous flowers and mark your projecting furniture, doors and
walls.  You can even use different scents for different areas and that
will help with navigation!  Just because sight is so important for humans
(and yet many cope fine without it) doesn't mean that it is important for
ferrets.

>She's also missing part of her tail after the removal of a lymphoma
>tumor.

Are you sure it wasn't a chordoma, instead?

>Does it have to be Osage oranges or will any kind of oranges work?

I do not know if Osage Oranges are actually a citrus and don't have time
to check now, but many forms of citrus have oils in the fruit skins that
work as insect repellents.  There is the problem that they alter rather
rapidly, though, and then stop working.  It's one of the reasons that
those have been often pierced with cloves (another repellent) and hung
from ribbons in closets (but do be careful of them getting fungus infected
in moist regions).