From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:30:41 -0400
--
>If you think what I did for Molly was worng.  Then try running a care home
>and try making the decision that I had to make.  No one wants to adopt a
>sick, old or disabled ferret.

First off, there are those of us who have adopted ferrets with handicaps.
Among those we have taken over the years were many abused ferrets who
needed rehab, one sweet tailess-wonder who loves to lie down and roll over
for Nutrical, a little girl who was marginally survivable and created the
work of any other two or three ferrets due to multiple deformities and
extreme intellectual handicaps, and a little boy with a deformed hand who
has never been a healthy soul and so far has run us something like $5,000
to $6,000 for his medical care over his life to this point.  (Dealing with
those with deformities from our experience can be harder than the rest and
more expensive.)

We know that we are far from alone, having read of many people who have
done just the same thing.  It's not unusual, though it likely is not
common enough.

There also are those shelter folks who arrange fostering programs for
ferrets with serious handicaps.  These share responsibilities ( with the
arrangement designed by the shelter to suit the individual needs of that
given shelter).

Over the years we've had several blind ferrets and with a bit of
adjustment they do wonderfully well, largely because sight is NOT their
most important sense: smell is (and hearing seems to be more important
than sight most of the time for them yet look how many ferrets without
hearing cope well).  I realize, as someone with lousy eyes who is lucky
to be corrected as well as I am, that many people are extremely afraid of
loss of sight and generalize that fear outward, but it is important to
know FOR THE FUTURE (What is done, is done.) that loss of sight does not
need to impact on quality of life for a ferret, esp.  since what is hard
for a human is not necessarily anywhere near as hard for a ferret (and
visa versa).

I think that it is possible to turn this conversation to a constructive
direction by discussing things that can be done to:

1. Improve education about how happily handicapped ferrets can live.
2. Show ways to help ferrets adjust when they first acquire a handicap.
3. Suggest ways that shelters may be able to improve the adoption
   rates for ferrets with handicaps.
4. Discuss fostering arrangement that various shelters have used with
   success.

Steve and I are not shelter folks but we do admire the very hard work
they do.  I have seen discussions of such topics in the past help newer
shelters when those with more background have come in and given some
incredible tips.  It would be marvelous to see that constructive approach
happen again now.