From:
Kami Renee Bahr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Oct 2001 17:34:40 -00
Well, I found this list in my fiancee's mailbox, I am not a poster here,
but I may be in need of aid.

My fiancee, Kami (who is now out of town, Klamath Oregon) and I have an
albino ferret named Aesir.  Recently, Aes has been scratching like a
fiend, and he's been sneezing as well, so today I took him to the vet.

To my horror, the vet checked him out and was stumped.  He came back with
a medical book and said that Aes may have a rare form of distemper.  He
was totally shocked, because he gave Aes his distemper shot (s) himself!
Apparently the symptoms I mentioned above match the description of this
virus.  The vet noted his fur was yellow, and I am shooting myself over
this, Aes's fur has been yellow for a long time, and I thought it was just
something natural in Albino's... Kami asked me if it was normal, and I
said, he acts fine, he seems fine, therefore he must be fine.  I'm an
idiot!

The odd thing here, is that a ferret with this form of distemper
(according to the medical book), should only have 12-22 days.  Aes has
had yellow fur for at least two months that I can recall, I think he may
have even had yellow fur when we got him.  After I told the vet that, he
started to look for another cause, he's running tests now.

I guess I'm just afraid, has anyone experienced anything similar to this
with their own ferret?  I am very worried, even though he really seems
fine otherwise, he's active, eats well, plays hard...

If anyone has any info or pointers, I' de be much obliged.

Thank you,
Stephen Scott