Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 23:46:23 EDT
I've had ferrets who dragged their bedding into the litterpans to sleep -
currently there are three "litter-pan kids" in residence.

I figured that even though ferrets are totally domesticated, some of the
instincts of their wild cousins pop up here and there - for instance, the
"denning" instinct seems to be a little stronger in some of them (notice
how they like to sleep inside and underneath stuff?)  And I noticed that
the "litter-pan kids" liked to sleep with their backs up against the wall
of the pan.

What I did was scour the house for things that could provide a
solid-walled "den" inside the cage.  One little girl wound up with a round
clay pot, just her size; another got a small box with a ferret-sized hole
cut in one end.  The third has an eight-inch length of 6" diameter tubing.
I left the pans just a wee bit dirtier than usual for a couple days, and
tucked nice, clean, fluffy bedding inside the new "dens."

Not one of them has gone back to sleeping in the litterpans.  :-)

-Carla
(no, the other one <g>)