From:
Candice Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:55:58 EDT
Brutus is my previously insulinomic ferret, 7 months post pancreas
surgery, 18 months post 1 1/2 adrenalectomy.  Was on lupron, pred 1.5 mg
twice daily, carafate, three weeks after starting melatonin developed
high glucose (500-600+).  All meds have been weaned off.  Labs are back.

Insulin levels low at 4.3 (normal is above 10)
WBC 2.0 (low)
Hct slightly low
K+ slightly low
Alt slightly elevated
Glucagon level judged "not indicated" because of low insulin level
Blood glucose was 500

At this point blood glucose, (which I check daily from a relatively
painless toe-pad stick using a Freestyle Monitor) is now running 240-400,
still drinking a lot and urinating copiously but looks pretty good.  My
vet and I discussed starting insulin, but in view of the generally
decreasing blood glucose decided it may be safer to just monitor for a
while and see if the problem resolves on it's own.  It seems risky to
start insulin and risk an insulin coma if his glucose bottoms out.  If
the glucose stays up, we will start NPH insulin at 0.1 U twice a day and
titrate to try to keep his glucose about 200 dl/ml.

Pam, who has been through this, and the FHL archives have been very
helpful.  Does anyone else have comments/suggestiosn?

cb