From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:22:24 -0400
This is a response to the person asking about microscopes (sorry, I
accidentally deleted your name before I relied)

A "Good" microscope will cost a from $500-800.  such as a Wesco or bottom
line Nikon.  These scopes work just fine to detect parasites as long as
they have a 10X 40X and an Oil objective.  The scopes I prefer and use in
my parasitology class are Olympus and they start from $1000-1500 and up
depending on the model.  Most parasite eggs can be seen at 10X.  A trained
eye can see protozoans (giardia) and then bump it up to 40X.  The oil
objective is needed for bacterial counts and ID as well as some mite ID.
Your best bet is to just bring a sample to your vet who can easily
recognize parasites, eggs, psuedoparasites and only costs a few bucks to
run the test.  Otherwise you will need to learn the test procedures.  A
simple floatation test is not going to find ALL parasites.  There are many
tests that can be run on feces and require centrifuges, lab scales
(expensive) and various laboratory solutions (which you wont be able to
purchase because most of these materials are used to manufacture illegal
drugs) that if not prepared to the proper concentrations will destroy
parasite eggs and protozoans and EVERY test will come out negative (This
is one way I test my parasitology students ability to prepare solutions).

Again, your best bet is to just bring a sample to your vet who can easily
recognize parasites and eggs and only costs a few bucks to run the test.

Jim Giacalone
Veterinary Technology Program Faculty
FRCC Larimer Campus Colorado

[Sukie note: my apologies, but I forgot to note which digest number this
was in when i asked his permission for cross-posting.]