From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 14:14:27 -0400
>Per your post to the FML is there a need for a foster home in NJ for a
>NY ferret affected by the WTC disaster?

If you find one at a local shelter. Call around.

Animals which were right in the area *appear* (Don't know if that is
accurate.) to have overwhelmingly not survived; some made it but I have
not heard of any ferrets forwarded to safety by the ASPCA even though
they have done that sort of forwarding even since before the disaster.

I have heard that both general animal shelters/humane groups, and ferret
shelters have begun talking in animals whose people were lost or injured,
and those of military people called up.  This need can crop up anywhere.
Some vets have taken in animals as well; our local one has with cats of a
few deceased/injured people so far from the sounds of it.  I do not know
if they have been placed.  (Locally there are now known to be 20 missing
people.) This need is going to exist all over the nation and in some
nations which are also fighting Reactionary Terrorism.  That is because
of military personnel being moved and reserves being called into action,
as well as some due to the victimization.

I'm going to copy this to the FML in case any shelters want to announce
ferrets in need of homes and to remind folks again to place their calls
if they are able to take in animals as adoptees or fosters.

*****Bill, you and Pam are sharing fostering data, right?  Should those
who are not on the fostering list only let Pam know at
<[log in to unmask]> or let the FML know as well (esp. in case there
might be shelters near them with such ferrets)?*****

[Moderator's note: Contacting Pam is fine -- I'll be glad to make the
list available on the server if forwarded one.  BIG]

*****The shelter list is available from from the listserve addy at
the start of this list ***** and at:

lists shelters which can also help.

(BTW, just as a general reminder: folks like Osama bin Laden are
Reactionaries not Radicals.  Radicals want to invent a new society --
often to create a new version of communism.  Reactionaries are those who
think that things were better in the past and want to return the world to
a condition that they THINK existed (Given that no one can know for sure
what is was like without having lived in it.).  In that particular man's
and his cohorts' case seems pretty well hung up on the times of the
Crusades (and working right back to there in denied and severely limited
literacy, denied rights, early deaths with an average lifespan of about 46
for males in Afganistan now and unknown but likely younger for females,
high infant mortality of over 25%, etc.).

Take into account here that my education on this regard is broad rather
than precise so check me for errors.  To me it makes sense that he'd like
a "romanticized" version of those times since most of what he and the
Taliban say/enforce socially come from weak documents of folks who claimed
to have witnessed Mohammed and do NOT come from the Koran.  Mohammed
actually decreed that fighters/horsemen must be careful to not harm
civilians and that food and medical care should be provided to civilians.
In that the U.S.  aid actions and the careful targeting of missiles more
closely follows those teachings.  BTW, women had a lot of rights when
Mohammed was alive unlike under the Taliban where they have none.

Anyway, the term for that -- in case the general group is interested at
all -- is "reactionary" not "radical"; both are extremes but on different
sides, and each has often proven hazardous to the general population as
major rapid shifts in any direction often do in societies for multiple
reasons.)