From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:40:32 -0500
>From:    Julia Goodwin-Todd <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Tonight something horribly scary happened.  I went to open my ferret cage
>and everyone but Liam woke up and ran out.  He didn't wake up.  I picked
>him up and saw faint breathing.  His tongue was sticking out and his body
>was limp.  I shook him, I yelled frantically and he didn't come out of
>it.  I screamed for my husband and by the time my husband got their Liam
>snapped out of it slowly.  He looked at me dazed and weary eyed.  I
>clutched him and cried.  He is 2 years old and usually very healthy
>besides the fact that he always smells like a gym sock.  I don't know what
>caused this to happen, or why it happened.  It's been humid inside the
>house but not as bad as it had been few months ago without affecting him.
>I had a fan blowing on him, plenty of water and food.  I just don't know
>what put him in such a deep sleep.  Anyone else had that expierence?
>It's terrible.

Well, you have just experienced what we call "Dead Ferret Syndrome".
It's so common that we have that joke name for it.  I first experienced it
about 19 yrs ago.  My wife woke me one morning crying and shouting "Honey,
wake up!  Stinky is dead!"  Stinky shortly woke up and looked around as
much as to say "What are you all looking at?" Trust me, it is normal.  It
happens more often with some ferrets than with others.  There is no cause
for alarm at all.  It they are warm and limber, they are still alive.

--
Russ, Booger, Bonnie & Clyde

URA Redneck if you've ever used lard in bed.