From:
"Caitlyn M. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:07:49 -0400
Hi, Cheryl,

My albino ferret, Pertwee, is also deaf.  He was stuck in a small cage in
a pet store until they decided they just couldn't sell him because he was
a "terrible biter".  When we got him he was about five and a half months
old.  It takes patience and effort to train a deaf ferret, though we were
lucky that nip training came pretty easily.  When you scruff Samantha, if
she's done bad, also shake her.  Not too hard, mind you, but just enough
to make it unpleasant for her.  When she does something you approve of
(like going to the litter pan on her own) be right there with a treat.

Training has to be tactile and visual, rather than verbal, of course.
Keith found that holding Pertwee to his neck and talking to him so he
could feel the vibrations helped relax him.  Love and attention worked
wonders, and we *can* startle him without being nipped.

Pertwee does come to hand signals, as in we can wave him towards us and
he'll come running.  He also does nip fingertips on occasion, and that
is something we never quite completely broke him of, but he doesn't bite
hard, except at the vet's office.  Three surgeries and blood work and
injections have made him associate the place with pain, and he can be
nasty with the staff there.  Somehow, they all still seem to care about
him.

I don't know what else I can offer, other than referring you to the Ferret
Central site as others have already done.

Pertwee still has all that boundless kit energy almost all the time
despite some new health problems.  In fact, he's so incredibly exuberant,
Keith calls him "Nut".  I mean, which other ferret would run headlong
crashing into us, and then run straight up one of us to end up perched on
a shoulder and give kisses?  The best thing of all is that, despite all
the health problems he's had in his life, he still does that.

I'm sure Samantha will bring you lots and lots of joy.  I know it's hard
to be patient with her sometimes, but keep working with her.  I don't know
why, but "special" ferrets always seem to be special in good ways, too.

All the best,
Caity and the terrific 10