From:
melissa hooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 04:05:47 -0800
Don't worry about raising kids in a zoo...I think it's the best way.  I
have 2 hooman kids, and 5 ferrets, 2 cats, 1 dog, 5 gerbils (theirs), 1
python, 1 uromastyx (lizard), 1 iguana, and 1 tarantula.  Our family may
not be quite as exotic as some out there, but it's still enough to make
my parents think we're insane (so does my hubby, for that matter, lol).
Anyway, with my kids being raised with all of these critters, they are
learning compassion and responsiblity.  For instance, my oldest son is in
charge of walking his dog and keeping the food and water changed on his
gerbils.  I got angry at the dog the other day (she's big, and da*n-near
broke my toe), and my son came to her rescue.  Not that I would have done
anything more than the yelling that I was doing (and most of that was
yelling in pain), but it was still good to see that he loves the dog
enough to take up for her.  Kids and animals were meant to be together,
that's all there is to it.  I can remember times when I was a kid and went
through all of the growing pains with making friends and losing friends,
and sometimes my pets seemed like my only friends.  I could always talk to
my critters when I didn't feel like talking to anyone else.  They always
listened, never judged, and always loved me more than anything.  I still
use pet-therapy to get through life sometimes, and my kids are learning
the value of it now, too.  Enjoy life with your baby and your animals.
Take the normal precautions...always watch the critters when they are
around the baby, don't scoop the cat box while pregnant, etc.  But, other
than that, sit back and relax...it'll all work out fine. :)
Melissa